Thread: Civil Engineering Jobs in NZ?

Default Civil Engineering Jobs in NZ?

I am a civil engineer, currently in the USA and want to apply for immigration to NZ. I want to get an idea of the civil engineering job opporunities in NZ. My work experince is on Road and Highway Design.

Do employers need civil engineers to have a certain certification to be hired? I do have a EIT certification in USA, but sure if it would be of value in NZ.

Definitely a big skills shortage there at the moment. You'll have no problem getting a job. The NZIS website has the details of what qualifications you need for immigration points, but a Washington Accord degree would make life a lot easier for you if that's what you have.

Hello -- fellow CE and American. I've seen plenty of openings on the civil design side, so I'd say your background should stand you in good stead as far as finding employment.

Have a look at the IPENZ website; the professional licensing process in NZ is a bit different than in the US. The good news is that you can start the process while all of your immigration paperwork is being gathered.

Good luck!

Good luck with your application.

Go for it. There are a good number of jobs in your area lately.

Regarding the licensing process - if you do decide to find a job and move here, it would help you out down the road if you can get as much documentation as possible for your previous work experience and continuing education. They generally want to see 5 years of experience before you apply for your license, so it probably won't be something you need to worry about just yet. IPENZ will supply you with plenty of guidelines regarding what you need to apply to be a licensed engineer down here.