Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nearly 2 years - I hate my job!

Default Nearly 2 years - I hate my job!

Just sitting here having a bad work moment, bad times always seem to draw me back to the forum!

We are heading for 2 years at the end of May, it has gone so fast. There have been many ups and many downs, the downs coming out of the blue, just to catch you out when you think things are going well!

I know that we all have the same ups and downs and it is good to compare.

I am currently working as an electrician in Christchurch after completing my registration, but hate working where I am, the company that I work for have some poor ideas about how to keep staff happy! I get 45 hours pay every week, but work 50, have asked for payslips on numerous occasions along with an explanation of how they think they can pay me 5 hours less every week, but seem to hit a brick wall. Communication is definately not their thing!! I have never received a payslip since I started in July. We were given 4 weeks time off (not optional) at xmas and when we came back, we were told that that was our holidays for the next 12 months!!

I am sick of working my backside off for nothing.

If there are any sparkies out there in or around Chch (especially Rangiora way) and they are looking for a hard working sparkie (have done a bit on heat pumps lately as well) please feel free to PM me, you would be doing me a big favour!

Glad to get that off my chest

Cheers
    Nick

It's good to vent. I would defo look for a new place of employment though. What you described just seems incredibly shady to me.

Best of luck!

Sorry to hear that. Good luck.

Oh, that's tough. Hope you find somewhere better really soon.

As well as dealing with Immigration, the Department of Labour deals with... well, labour issues, and has a very useful website. For example:

http://www.dol.govt.nz/workplace/kno...base/item/1302

That's a real bummer Nick.

Thought everyone was entitled to a pay slip, I know i got one and i ws only part time 20 hrs a week.

I get one too, but usually only work 8-12 hours a week.

That's sounds awful, and surely the lack of a payslip is illegal??!

I'd be worried about whether the company is paying appropriate taxes, NI-equivalent and so on - very worried, actually. Similar cases have happened in the UK, and while the company can be fined seriously it still impacts massively on the employees.

I'd be thinking about dobbing them in to whichever govt dept is supposed to deal with that sort of thing - e.g. here I'd give HMRC a call.

Quote Originally Posted by benandclare View Post

Thought everyone was entitled to a pay slip, I know i got one and i ws only part time 20 hrs a week.

You would think so wouldn't you? Considering we're all individually responsible to the IRD for our tax returns.

Amazingly, it is NOT so!

DOES AN EMPLOYER HAVE TO PROVIDE A PAYSLIP?
    While paper or electronic payslips are still very common in many workplaces, unless there is an agreement to do so, an employer is under no specific legal obligation to provide a payslip. In the interests of ensuring that everyone understands when and how wages or salaries have been calculated and paid, however, an employee has the right to access or obtain a copy of the employer's wage and time records relating to that employee. This record must be kept by the employer for each of their employees. It would include details such as, but not limited to:

The kind of work the employee does
    The amount of hours/days that the employee works
    The wages paid to the employee each week and the method of calculating those wages
    The nature of the employment agreement
    http://www.dol.govt.nz/workplace/kno...base/item/1302

You can however claim a 'Summary of Earnings' from the IRD

http://www.ird.govt.nz/online-servic...e-request.html

Have you considered going self-employed? There's always work around for good electricians.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast