Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Estimated building costs

Default Estimated building costs

I've read about this cost in some section of Emigratenz.org, but I cannot find it now. Neither, I don't know if you have treated or posted this link. Anyway,
    I found this information and I supose that it could be usefull for some of us.

"These are the latest estimated building costs by building type, which include all necessary internal and external finishes to achieve compliance with the Building Code, all services and provision of standard appliances, and site works."

You will find a chart in which, entering by region of NZ and the building area in sqm, you get a kind of average building cost per sqm.

As a quick way to calculate the total cost, just make: NZD 1.600 X House Area.

http://www.dbh.govt.nz/bofficials-es...building-costs

I found also an interesting guide here:

http://www.buildingguide.co.nz

Cheers,

Interesting link. I'm sure this will help many migrants looking to build in NZ.

Hrm. website doesn't appear to show calculations for 2 story builds.

Would it be safe to assume this cost is based on "Minimum building code" standards? Because for something like insulation in the walls and roof, to meet the required envelope standards is very little than what should be done in practice. ie. the notion to use the most amount of insulation you can afford.

Architecturally designed and built houses costs a fortune. My uncle up in Auckland advises his clients that building costs he charges start at $3000/sqm, which is in line with some local Christchurch architect prices.

The real problem is if you put too much emphasis on the modern looks or style of a house, you find that it costs a lot more to construct and will offer higher risks or problems in the future - such as leaky house syndrome. You don't end up paying for better materials, instead you pay for the concept and design which adds no long term durability to the house.

But oh. I should add that the typical house in NZ changes hand every 5 or 6 years. So there's no real incentive for people to pay extra for better materials because it don't add value to the house. What you can't see, you can't ask more in the price tag. After all, in 30 years time they would say the house would of had 'reasonable' use and no claim can be filed against the building company.

NZ building code should put more emphasis on using long term permanent materials or place builders to honor a better warranty. The 'Master Builder' guarantee is a joke because it only offers 2 years warranty on the whole dwelling and 7 years for 'major' structural problems and a $100,000 maximum claim coverage.
    Last edited by Super_BQ; 13th April 2010 at 11:09 AM.

We are just putting our plans into council for a major renovation! The bank wants us to get a fixed price quote, hopefully going to start July - wish me luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    But oh. I should add that the typical house in NZ changes hand every 5 or 6 years.
    Do you know why this happens?

Quote Originally Posted by nickiware View Post
    We are just putting our plans into council for a major renovation! The bank wants us to get a fixed price quote, hopefully going to start July - wish me luck!!
    All the best with your project

Does anyone have a link to a project home builder in NZ ? I've been looking to no avail.

I expect the New Zealanders, like Australians, are just fairly mobile. I read some time back that we are the most migratory people in the oecd. I guess people just get bored living in the same house, or see an opportunity to change jobs, trade up...whatever...

I've been in my place since 1996, and my ladyfriend in hers since 1998, but we are both ready to move....

Do you know why this happens?
    My guess:

1) Kiwis aren't happy enough with what they have and at any instance where they have the funds, they'll sell to upgrade. When I say upgrade, this means moving closer to say the school where their children go to moving into a newer house because the house is too cold.

2) Move into a house for the intention of improving it and selling it for a profit later on.

My uncle told me the best value when to sell a home is just 1 or 2 years after it's been built. But if you hold the house longer than 10 years, you'll find the required maintenance will kill the appeal and become more of a liability.

In the past 10+ years we've moved house 2 times (not at my choice). The 1st move was the house was built with the intention to sell (+ the neighborhood were rather snobby). The 2nd house move made because we wanted to be closer to our aging relatives on the other side of town.

But i'm sure others will vouch for a better reason. I just think that with the way houses in NZ are treated as commodities to profit - you can't stop thinking that the motive for profit outweighs the benefits of having reliable neighbors, safe neighborhood, etc. What i've noticed living in Christchurch is that you really don't know your neighbors (because the houses change owners so often). There's no community gathering events like Canada Day / Thanksgiving Day where everyone up and down the street gathers for the feast. Instead, it's difficult to ask a neighbor to borrow a ladder or some sort. Perhaps it's all these high wall fencing on the road frontage that you really don't see them compared to the suburban style residential developments we see in N. America.

Does anyone have a link to a project home builder in NZ ?
    I'm not sure what you mean? If it involves building a 'concept' house that is out of the norm, you will find NZ is not the place to be because of strict building codes. Of course you could always build out in the countryside. Do you mean a 'project manager'? (most high volume builders have their own project manager that conveys between the builders and the home owner.

GJ Gardiner??

GJ Gardiner?? HAH!

Here in Christchurch, they closed their office premise on Blenheim Road. I guess they're not getting enough business to warrant having 2 palces.

You will find builders like Peter Ray Homes is that they are set in their ways of building. They're only interested in building houses that fit the mold for most kiwis. They won't sit down and draw what you think is a good idea. This applies to materials too - despite how PVCu windows have the best insulation R value than any other framed window, they mislead their clients by saying PVCu windows costs 4 times more than the conventional windows. When in fact, they only cost maybe 50% more than standard aluminium framed windows. I don't want to start pointing fingers at other high volume builders but as some advice to guzzis3, you might end up having to pay the high price for an architect to design your home project.

Double HAH for GJ too......... having lived in one for 9 weeks as we waited to move into our new house it was pants.

To put some actual figures on the table it cost us $1350/sqm to build well above "Minimum building code" standards.

Money was well spent on insulation, during the wee cool snap we've had recently overnights we've not needed any heating on at all.

House a comfortable 12-16 C degrees above outside temps.

If we'd put a second floor on top that would have worked out at $1650/sqm for the second floor

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast