Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dunedin - Neighborhoods - Family, walking friendly

We are in Dunedin now, looking for a place.

Yesterday we drove around Roslyn, Maori Hill, North West Valley, and Opoho. We found that some of the streets were so steep it was scary in the car! And other places were very shady (and cold) while the houses on the other side of the street, valley, or hill were sunny. And there were nice houses right next to run-down houses. So picking a house based on neighborhood is not going to work very well here.

We did find one house up on Signal Hill Drive, about 15 minutes' walk (down) to the top of the Botanic Garden. The views were great, and the neighboring houses were all very nice, but the walk up to the house was very long and steep.

Is the Opoho neighborhood good? I don't hear it mentioned very often.

We are thinking about renting a house in North East Valley, near Chingford Park. It's on the flat, about a block away from North Road.

Anyone know about that area?

Hi, Opoho is nice, and sunny too, although up a big hill as you will have noticed. Near Chingford Park is okay, but you will find that the sun doesn't really get there too much if you are on the left hand side of North Road looking northwards. A chum of mine loves living in NEV despite the cold. I have other friends who love living in Wakari (with children too), but I quite living up the hill in Dalmore/Pine Hill.

Too cold for me down there!!

Brrr.

@Denali . . . how's your move to Dunedin thus so far? My bf & I are also gunho about this city

Loving it!

Dunedin is much more our style than Nelson, at least at this point in our lives.

We love the diversity of people, the lush vegetation (much more hiking-friendly than in Nelson), the excellent college radio, the cheap food, the museums, etc.

The only "bad" thing is the cold, but we got used to that within a month or so. It rained a lot a couple weeks ago, but since then it's been nice and dry. We're loving the cool, crisp weather. Definitely beats the constant winter rain of the US Pacific NW!

Welcome here denalipop!

I am living now for more than four years in this place and I am still loving it. Did you now settle in NEV? (@ sary: As far as I know Chingford Park is still part of NEV not Opoho.)

Re climate: What I like about Dunedin is that it generally does stay cold during the day. Even after -5 in the night you may expect around +10 at lunch time. That is something very different to Europe.

Yes, we settled in NEV. The flat makes for easy walking. We walk to the gardens almost every day!

(You probably arrived too late for the last one.) Over the previous two years from November until May there happened to be the following series: "Sunday Bandstand performances in the Band Rotunda at the Dunedin Botanic Garden". See here for the most recent one http://www.dunedin.govt.nz/events/gi...nday-bandstand to get an idea what is on offer. It is very much anticipated that it will be repeated again.

Denali, I'm really happy for you that you're loving Dunedin! I just hope my bf and I will be able to get there . . . period! We were also thinking about NEV . . . if you don't mind, I might pick your brain regarding the area, economy, job market . . . I hope that's not too much of a liberty with you . . .

In regards to weather, I also had lived in the Pacific NW (Seattle), my bf in Michigan, so no, we don't mind cold weather at all. In fact, it'll be so welcome after living in the desert (Tucson, AZ) which we both despise!

As the Kiwis say, "good on ya!"

Cheers,

Cara

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast