Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dunedin - Neighborhoods - Family, walking friendly

Quote Originally Posted by denalipop View Post
    So my point is, if you chose NEV, or any shady area in Dunedin,

It's cold, but so far it's been mostly dry rather than drizzly,

where we can have more space for kids, animals, volleyball nets, etc.
    T
    NEV per se is actually not shady, it just depends on which side you are. And this relevant for all areas in Dunedin!!

The winter so far is a quite warm one this year . Not many nights with frost yet.

Properties in Dunedin with enough space for a volleyball net are rare. Especially considering it shall be flat, sunny, etc. However I wish you luck!

T,

Thanks for the response! My main concern is trying to find baking jobs (I'm looking into a work study program) and to live in an area where it's not too far away from the CBD but also have some privacy where our neighbors aren't literally a foot away from us!

We chose Dunedin because of its smaller population and because the last time I checked (within six months) there were job opportunities in the baking industry. Of course, should that opportunity dry up, I suppose I could always fall back on administrative work.

How bad is the smog and rude driver issue? I was born and raised in Southern California and somehow I get the feeling that those two issues won't be as difficult in Dunedin. We currently live in Tucson, AZ and talk about rude drivers! Actually, the drivers aren't so much rude as they are stupid and pull all sorts of stupid acts (i.e. not using a turn signal, turning right from a middle lane, driving 55 mph in a 35 mph zone, driving 45 in a school zone) so I'm used to rude. The smog here in Tucson is also mixed in with dust (we do live in the desert after all) not to mention very hot weather (triple digits).

We so need a better quality of life, where it's more slower paced, surrounded by beautiful scenery, and a cooler climate.

Again, thank you for all your input and I just hope that everything's coming up roses for you and yours.

Warmest Regards,

Cara

Cara Lee, I just read the last pages of the thread...., we lived in Dunedin for four years, but on the other side of the CBD, and I have not have that bad experiences with rude drivers. A lot is coming down to personal experience, I guess, and that is just mine.
    As for the smog- yes, in winter when everyone operates their woodburners, there is some smog in the area, but, again, it might be worse in the NEV- side of town, because the wind can't take the smog away as easy as near the open sea.
    We lived up in the area of Tunnel Beach Road for a year and when I drove down to St.Clair to drop the kids off at school we could see the smoke wavering, but I never thought it was too bad.

Regarding the cold houses and the non- existing insulation- yes, it gets freezing inside a lot of times and when it is wet, it s even worse. We experienced all sorts of different houses (three in 4 years), and learnt quickly how important the sunny side is for the well- being!

Quote Originally Posted by CaraLee View Post
    How bad is the smog and rude driver issue?
    Smog is generally not an issue in metropolitan Dunedin. There are very few very localised spots that are prone to smog. These are - of course - the few valleys here, e.g. NEV or Leith valley. However nothing compared to Alexandra for instance which again is much less than you experience in Europe.

Rude drivers as in "boy racers" happen but very often. The typical Kiwi driver is careless in a sense that they are driving as back in the seventies - not much traffic and we'll all manage - somehow.

Wow, thanks all for the advice . . . I'm really not worried about rude drivers and smog because after all, I can't imagine NZ being worse than the U.S. especially Tucson, AZ where it seems to be the "Appallingly Stupid & Moronic Drivers" capital of the Nation!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234