Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temporary work visa or Residence visa under the family category?

Default Temporary work visa or Residence visa under the family category?

I'm looking to move from the UK to NZ with my NZ husband, and we're currently wondering what the best visa would be to get me over there (I'm a UK person).

It seems that I can go for a temporary work visa, then apply for the residence one while we're out there (and therefore not be trapped in a limbo over here with no passports etc).
    I realise there'll be a medical and the police checks for the temp work visa, but I understand they can be used for the residence one - is that right?

Is there a downside to this plan? It seems to good to be true!

Any comments/thoughts gratefully received.

I THINK that medical and police cert's need to have been undertaken within 3 months of lodging a visa. So unless you go on the temporary work visa, get over there, apply for residency and get your ITA (presumed SMC?) and return the ITA all within 3 months i guess it means new ones.

That said, I'm unfamiliar with any other types of visa other than the SMC.

Hello and welcome.

It's not too good to be true - NZ really does want its Kiwis to come home happy, so coming in as the spouse of a Kiwi is one of the easier things to do.

Whether you can double-use medicals and police-checks all depends on your timing. If you look at the relevant pages of the NZ immigration website, and links from them, you'll find all the details of requirements for each, and can do your calculations.

Something you can start doing right away is assembling your proofs of partnership - this is something you'll need for both kinds of visa/permit. Again, there's a list on the NZIS website, and many old threads on here, stating what's acceptable. You have to prove that you have been living together for x amount of time (for more than 12 months, for PR), have continued to do so, and still are. A marriage certificate isn't sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Cumbriana View Post
    It seems that I can go for a temporary work visa, then apply for the residence one while we're out there (and therefore not be trapped in a limbo over here with no passports etc).
    I'm applying for permanent residence via the partnership route too (also married to a Kiwi), and I have my passport My application was lodged in person - the desk person took their own copies of our passports and hubby brought them straight back home again.

Personally I'd go the PR route straight away. It might take a while, depending on any medical conditions especially (see my timeline below) but it's certainly cheaper than doing both. Fewer forms in the long run too

I applied for PR via the partnership route, too, and, like Sophie, we kept our passports throughout the process: we submitted copies with our application, and when it was time for me to get the visas put into my passport I went to New Zealand House in person and they put them in while I waited. My application took four weeks from submission to approval in principal.

Quote Originally Posted by Cumbriana View Post
    I realise there'll be a medical and the police checks for the temp work visa, but I understand they can be used for the residence one - is that right?
    Contrary to what has been posted above, medicals that have been used as part of other applications are not offically allowed to be used for residence i.e. you need a new one - this information is clearly written on the medical application guide.

It is possible to do it the other way thought i.e. submit a residence application and then use the medicals for a temporary visa whilst waiting for the outcome of the residence visa.

That said, whilst officially it isn't allowed, forum members have previously posted that they were allowed to re-use their medicals even after the 3 month expiry period.

Ian

Invitation to apply for residence. FAQ
    Q. I have submitted medical certificates with another application to INZ previously. Do I need to submit a new one?
    A. Any medical cert. that is submitted in support of a residence application MUST be less than 3 months old. If you have submitted a medical certificate that is signed and dated more than 3 months ago, you will need to obtain a new medical certificate. If you have submitted a medical certificate that is signed and dated less than 3 month old, please indicate when and to which branch the medical certificate was submitted to

this is checklist of evidence required for WP or PR under partnership policy. Just answer all the questions reasonably and frankly (of course) even though u don't have all the proofs required. Like I don't own any assets with my partner together. Just tell them we don't have. Why? Because we don't have enough money to buy a house at the moment, but we are planning to in future.

P.S. finally, i know how to attach files...

by the way, why u don't think it in different order. U can apply residence while you are oversea. once u submit all docs incl. police cert. and medical. they are valid in the INZ system for one year. if u wanna move to NZ and work while u r waiting ur residence approval, u can apply WP under partnership policy, then u don't need to submit police cert. and medical again (within a year when u submit those docs).

Quote Originally Posted by tweetyhk View Post
    Invitation to apply for residence. FAQ
    Q. I have submitted medical certificates with another application to INZ previously. Do I need to submit a new one?
    A. Any medical cert. that is submitted in support of a residence application MUST be less than 3 months old. If you have submitted a medical certificate that is signed and dated more than 3 months ago, you will need to obtain a new medical certificate. If you have submitted a medical certificate that is signed and dated less than 3 month old, please indicate when and to which branch the medical certificate was submitted to
    Interesting as Form 1007 (Medical and Chest x-rays) states:-

What if I submitted a medical certificate with my last application?

If you are applying for residence you will need to submit a new medical certificate.

You may not need a new medical certificate if you are applying for a temporary visa or permit and you have submitted a medical certificate completed and dated by a medical practitioner within the last 24 months with a previous application. Your case officer will let you know if a new medical is required.
    Guess they can't both be correct?

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast