Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The pohutukawa itch - is anyone else suffering?

Default The pohutukawa itch - is anyone else suffering?

Much as I love pohutukawa trees, I hate them at this time of year when they shed all those little spines. The whole family seems to be suffering from sore throats and itchy eyes as there is a huge specimen on the property behind us that is shedding into our garden. We've also just had to abandon a bike ride around the local parks as the strong wind today blowing the spines around makes you feel as if you're being jabbed by needles. Does anyone else suffer?

Probably a lot of pollen around also, I notice it here.

I had not heard of this before! there aren't many (if any?) of those trees near us though, so maybe that's why... sounds pretty horrible. sympathies!

I've been suffering what I assume is a bout of allergic rhinitis since going out for a hike on Thursday. As April is about as low in the NZ pollen season as you can get I was curious about these trees but they seem to only live on the coasts up North so seem unlikely to be the problem.

In the UK I only ever had mild bouts of hayfever (I am rather more strongly allergic to cat dander, but no cats here) so I'm a little bit concerned if I'm allergic to something more prevalent over here. I've just had the amusement of trying to find some anti-histamines at 1-ish on a Saturday afternoon. Not for sale in the supermarket and I only just managed to squeeze into the third pharmacy I tried before they locked the doors. Plenty to choose from but all with prices hidden on the underside of the boxes so I just had to grab the first ceterizine-based box I saw. Only four times the price of an equivalent generic off the supermarket shelf in the UK!

Usually pharmacies at the Warehouse are open more or less the same time the Warehouse is. My sun uses Razene, which is the same as Zyrtec, but only a third of the price.

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    Usually pharmacies at the Warehouse are open more or less the same time the Warehouse is. My sun uses Razene, which is the same as Zyrtec, but only a third of the price.
    Ah, I shall have to remember that the Warehouse has a pharmacy. Thanks.

Yes, Razene is also cetirizine hydrochloride. In the UK there are no restrictions on where this can be sold, so it's on the supermarket shelves next to the aspirin etc. Consequently, you can buy a 14-tablet pack for about £1 at your convenience. A 30-tablet pack of Razene or other cetirizine generic seems to run NZD15 even from online pharmacies. I see 90-tablet packs for NZD25, which is a bit more palatable if this turns out to be a constant problem.

Not a major issue, just another one of those little differences that throw you a bit. I must have scanned the medicines shelf in pack and save for about three minutes before considering that maybe it was a restricted medicine over here.

Most of this month I've been suffering with something, this week I have a cold on top of it too. Not sure what it is that I am alergic to but was amazed the other wek when I finally took a anti histamine & m nose stoped running & I stopped seezing, it just never dawned on me, I have been told I have rhinitus anyway so I assume now it may be seasonal as well as every day too
    Made the mistake the other day of taking a tablet without the box & fell asleep on the sofa, Googled it later to find it's one that is also prescribed as a sedative sometimes, that'll teach me

I have had to use pills or nasal sprays ever since I first visited New Zealand in the early '90s. I was prescribed Razene a few years ago so was able to get 80 tablets for around $3. I could then get a repeat prescription with a simple phone call.

I found that the Razene didn't totally stop my symptoms though, Saturday mornings were worst for some reason, so recently tried Flixonase and my symtoms have totally stopped. I am tissue free for the first time in years!

I love these trees. They have a wonderful colour. Our previous neighbour had a small one and it didn't bother us at all. Perhaps you have sensitive skin. If it is not pollen, then have you thought it could be conjunctivitis? You only need one in your family to spread it to the rest.

Anyway these trees give amazing honey. We bought pohutukawa honey from an upmarket honey farm recently and the texture and salty flavour is wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by batgirl1001 View Post
    I love these trees. They have a wonderful colour. Our previous neighbour had a small one and it didn't bother us at all. Perhaps you have sensitive skin. If it is not pollen, then have you thought it could be conjunctivitis? You only need one in your family to spread it to the rest.

Anyway these trees give amazing honey. We bought pohutukawa honey from an upmarket honey farm recently and the texture and salty flavour is wonderful.

It won't be pollen at this time of the year, since they flower for all of two weeks around Christmas time. The flowers don't last long at all and it seems no sooner have they flowered that the red petals are all over the ground around the trees. It will be the seeds that are causing the itch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast