Page 1 of 27 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Silver Fern Job search visa - Anyone interested in this visa?

Post Silver Fern Job search visa - Anyone interested in this visa?

Hi all,
    INZ has annouced that a new type of visa named SILVER FERN JOB SEARCH VISA will be introduced and on April 27, 2010 it will be officially launched on INZ online service platform.

Anyone interested in this visa and ready to apply, welcome to contribute to this thread.

Yes I'm interested! Personally I'm waiting till midnight on the 27th. With only 300 places I'd be surprised if they weren't snapped up in a few days!

Anybody knows the exact time at which the visa application will be available (NZ time)?

The Silver Fern Job Search policy allows people to enter New Zealand for nine months to search for skilled employment. There is a limit of 300 places per year.

To be eligible you must:
    • be aged between 20 and 35 years of age (inclusive)
    • be outside New Zealand during the application process
    • hold a recognised bachelors degree, higher qualification, or a recognised trade qualification with a minimum of two years of work experience in that trade
    • meet the English language requirements set out for principal applicants under the Skilled Migrant Category (IELTS level 6.5)
    • have a minimum of NZ$4,200 available funds to meet your living costs while you are here
    • not have been previously issued a Silver Fern Job Search visa

The application process and payment will be online. Applicants will have to provide evidence they meet the requirements to an Immigration New Zealand branch for assessment and verification.

The online application form will become available on 27 April 2010. You will need a valid Visa or MasterCard credit card. This is the only way to pay for your online application. Manual or paper-based applications which are received by INZ will be returned to the applicant.
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ork/silverfern

• have a minimum of NZ$4,200 available funds to meet your living costs while you are here

Wow, that's pretty generous – ridiculously so, in my opinion. With a rent of $150 per week, a migrant would need $5,850 for 9 months – and that doesn't even include money for utilities, food, transport, or anything else.

Unless the Silver Fern Job Search visa allows skilled migrants to work at lesser-skilled jobs such as waitressing, bartending, cleaning, etc whilst they're looking for skilled employment, it seems to me that it would be a real recipe for disaster to let these visa holders come in with anything less than NZ $10,000 for a 9-month period.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolie View Post
    Wow, that's pretty generous – ridiculously so, in my opinion. With a rent of $150 per week, a migrant would need $5,850 for 9 months – and that doesn't even include money for utilities, food, transport, or anything else.

Unless the Silver Fern Job Search visa allows skilled migrants to work at lesser-skilled jobs such as waitressing, bartending, cleaning, etc whilst they're looking for skilled employment, it seems to me that it would be a real recipe for disaster to let these visa holders come in with anything less than NZ $10,000 for a 9-month period.

We spent over 10000 in 5 months..

Jolie: Yup, I also think the NZ$4200 to be ridiculous! And I doubt we'd be allowed to do menial work as with Work Holidays... I better check this out with INZ.

Syed: Was that 10k per person or per couple?

But what's the risk to NZ? I assume you can't claim any sort of benefit while on this visa, so if you run out of money before the times up or you find a job, you'll just be going home anyway.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by zemien View Post
    Jolie: Yup, I also think the NZ$4200 to be ridiculous! And I doubt we'd be allowed to do menial work as with Work Holidays... I better check this out with INZ.

Syed: Was that 10k per person or per couple?
    There seems no clear expanation on SKILLED work under this catagory. Therefore it may cause some confusal anyway. I do not think this visa will work as what the government expect. But no matter how, I will try to apply for one of that. After all, anything could happen within nine months.

BTW, I do not think someone would remain in NZ for NINE months if they have nothing to do. So NZD4200 is not a problem. This visa is designed for someone to look for a job in NZ, it should not set too high threshold on the applicant's personal finance. $4200 may not support some for a period of nine months, but for others, it could be working well.

Quote Originally Posted by xunigel View Post
    BTW, I do not think someone would remain in NZ for NINE months if they have nothing to do. So NZD4200 is not a problem. This visa is designed for someone to look for a job in NZ, it should not set too high threshold on the applicant's personal finance. $4200 may not support some for a period of nine months, but for others, it could be working well.
    Sorry, but I think it is a problem. If it takes someone 8-9 months to find a job, given the current cost of living here, I don't think that they will be able to survive in a metropolitan area on only $4,200 NZD – unless they've got someplace to live for free, or will be getting their food, utilities, and transportation for free.

If they're looking for a job in a more rural area, they might be able to manage. However, that pretty much rules out anyone looking for an IT position.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky View Post
    But what's the risk to NZ? I assume you can't claim any sort of benefit while on this visa, so if you run out of money before the times up or you find a job, you'll just be going home anyway.
    The risk to NZ is that they've wasted one of the precious 300 Silver Fern Visas on someone who doesn't get a job and ends up going home – and someone else who might have succeeded doesn't get the chance.

Pretty much everyone on here can tell you that immigrating to New Zealand is a hugely expensive proposition, by the time you've paid all the application, evaluation, certification, and visa fees, bought a round-trip plane ticket, either paid to ship your belongings here or purchased replacements for them once you get to NZ, and paid deposits for your rental and utilities (which can run from $500-$1500). If you get a visa rather than residency, you can plan on paying for your own health care (and huge school fees, if you have any children).

If you don't already have at least $10,000 NZD in the bank – or a job offer – you need to start saving now. Because once you're here, you won't be bringing in any money until you get a job – and in the current market, that could take months or even years (just ask some of the people who are already here).

It's too bad that things are that way right now, and I sympathise with the people who really want to come to NZ but don't have any money saved. But it's better to have a realistic idea of what it involves and make decisions based on that – and delay your plans by a couple of years whilst you save, if necessary – than to give up your current job and come here, only to be unable to find a job and end up having to give up on NZ and go back to your home country.

Page 1 of 27 123 ... LastLast