Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Heating - Hurrah!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Mac View Post
    Have you considered abandoning refrigeration and electric light in your pursuit of 19th century living?!

Not sure I could give up electricity, though one day I'd love to be able to go off-grid. We get the majority of our wood free as well, but last winter we had to buy it in. Well, I say buy - I think it cost us one crayfish and two snapper for enough to last us almost the whole winter.

We have found the best way to get through a NZ winter is an electric blanket and early nights

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Mac View Post
    Would that include flying a flag for the particulate pollution arising?
    I think that's a bit harsh on woodburners. Used effectively (IE new burners using well seasoned sustainable wood supply) I was under the impression they are the most ecological form of heating. Haven't got any stats to back that up though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tia Maria View Post
    Most quotes I've heard have ranged between $12K to $15K (incl GST). For vented air $7-8K.

But would be helpful to hear what others paid with a description of size of house....

Cheers

Tia

Per month? Ouch. Or have you been at the Tia, Tia?

We have modern central heating in our UK house, with a 3-4 year old condensing boiler. We also have a wood burner in the lounge. In winter then the central heating does OK to keep the chill off, then on a weekend we get the fire going, either wood or charcoal bricks and the heat spreads through the whole house. Hmm toasty. Wouldn't leave the house with a woodfire going though, even in a woodburner.

So I'm looking forward to whatever we havem, both work well in different ways.

In a new build it cost us $6500 for six radiators and associated gubbings to connect them to our wetback multifuel , labour included. 200 Sqm of living space.
    We'll be installing a heat transfer in nthe room with the burner to take heat into the hall but as mentioned before still no need for it to be on yet........

11.6 outside and still 26 in

Quote Originally Posted by Joolzr View Post
    Per month? Ouch. Or have you been at the Tia, Tia?
    Lol, you mean you can't afford $15k a month on heating? Peasant!

OK, promise to read more carefully next time...

Cheers

Tia

Quote Originally Posted by Joolzr View Post
    Can anyone with radiators give me an idea of how much they cost to run? I know Tia probably hasn't had a bill yet...
    We've got the vented heating not rads and it seems to cost around $100 extra per month in gas when it's on over winter. That's for a 3 bed, 2 bath bungalow (read draughty).

Quote Originally Posted by benandclare View Post
    We've got it too but have not needed it yet despite it being 5-6 degrees at night here
    Insulation Insulation Insulation to coin a phrase
    Agree, insulation so important but generally none too impressive in NZ.

Woodburners are not the answer for households at work all day. It guarantees a cold house when you get home from work, and ditto when you wake up in the morning. As for electric blankets, they are something out the 70's.

As for electric blankets, they are something out the 70's.
    Never! I've just got one this last winter, here in the UK, for the first time ever. The weather was really bitter for longer than in YEARS, and we took to doing an NZ 'heat the room where you are' for a lot of the time. The electric blanket meant I could heat the BED where I was - we got one with separate switches for the two halves. This meant I could actually do something other than shiver and be miserable if I woke in the night and found the 'chilly mortal' side of my organism had kicked in.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast