Thread: Liver Function Test - re-test needed

Thumbs down Liver Function Test - re-test needed

My numbers were a bit high on one of the Liver Function sections on the blood tests - Whatever it is that has to be between 10 - 40, I registered 60! Now, I've seen a few threads on this topic, but I'm really not sure if this is a bit high, really high, or somewhere in between?

My doctor has said to take the re-test, so hopefully it's ok next time around, because I said I'd been drinking 2 nights in a row, 4 days before I had the test - would this have had quite a significant effect?

I did think about it the night before the test and never drank, however I wasn't sure that 4 nights before my test would make a difference?

I now need to abstain and have another test in 1-2 weeks...

So, slightly concerned, although less so than when I first got the phonecall and I diagnosed myself with every life threatening disease there is!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_Tamson View Post
    My doctor has said to take the re-test, so hopefully it's ok next time around, because I said I'd been drinking 2 nights in a row, 4 days before I had the test - would this have had quite a significant effect?
    I'm not a doctor but from memory of when I looked into it previously anything under double the upper limit is generally considered as not a big deal, especially if it's just one of the levels out of whack. As far as the alcohol intake goes, a four-week abstinence is common before a retest and that's how long I stayed off the sauce before my medical.

As you seem to be saying that your GP is doing the test why don't you ask him or her though?

Quote Originally Posted by ExitStageSouth View Post
    I'm not a doctor but from memory of when I looked into it previously anything under double the upper limit is generally considered as not a big deal, especially if it's just one of the levels out of whack. As far as the alcohol intake goes, a four-week abstinence is common before a retest and that's how long I stayed off the sauce before my medical.

As you seem to be saying that your GP is doing the test why don't you ask him or her though?
    She basically just said it 'might' be that and to try again in 1-2 weeks.

I wish, in retrospect, I hadn't drank on the weekend past, however I never really thought it would be a big deal. Obviously I may have been completely wrong about that!

I guess if you are saying 4 weeks is a common length of time to stay off the booze then 4 days may well be the issue here.

I am thinking of trying again either next Friday, or a week on Monday.

My bilirubin level was slightly elevated so they asked for a retest, it was still a bit high but all the others were fine so the doctor said there was no medical significance and I had no problems from immigration at all

Sounds like it was gamma-GT level - in which case, a couple of decent drinking sessions less than a week before it was tested and you'll be lucky if it's not raised well above normal.

I would abstain from alcohol for a minimum of 14 days (and I really mean abstain) prior to the retest.

Binge drinking is worse on liver function tests than a small glass regularly but if you want to be safe it's best to avoid it completely for 2 weeks before.

It was my ALT levels that were slightly raised.

I ended up seeing another doctor (in the same practice) and he said that there appeared to be little to worry about and it was more than likely the result of inflammation due to some kind of infection I may have recently had (and potentially not even been aware of).

He did a Hep C test on my previous blood sample to be on the safe side and this was negative.

In his opinion there was not even any point in getting the retest done and he said from looking at my results that there were no alcohol related issues to be concerned with.

So, it's still ticked as 'abnormal' but there box at the end of the list is ticked as 'no significant or abnormal findings'...thus I have no idea if Immigration will take it further or not!

Still, feel better about it than I did when I started this thread!

We had this issue with medicals. On your results form from the blood tests there will be an acceptable range. My OH was over on the GGT, it took a while to get down to be honest. When I phoned NZI they said they accept levels at the top of the range plus 10%. We had private blood tests done and the acceptable range was different in each different clinic! very frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by nickiware View Post
    We had this issue with medicals. On your results form from the blood tests there will be an acceptable range. My OH was over on the GGT, it took a while to get down to be honest. When I phoned NZI they said they accept levels at the top of the range plus 10%. We had private blood tests done and the acceptable range was different in each different clinic! very frustrating.
    Well mine is 50% over the 'normal' range, however I have read that on ALT the levels can literally be 1000s of times over, so who knows. The doctor reckoned that by doing the Hep C test any fears they might have will be allayed...

He also said there is no point in retesting until 3-6 months later on this particular level, and he also pretty much said there was nothing I could do myself to get it down as he suspected it was an infection.

Good luck, GGT is one of those you can get down by cutting out alcohol! interestingly the levels really dropped when he stopped drinking coke!!!!!!!!!!