Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CV Advice and such like..

Default CV Advice and such like..

So I have my CV, I know its a brilliant CV in terms of layout and content as after all I was a recruiting manager back in the UK...However, that was in the UK and as I have already discovered, there are just a few differences between the two countries and i'm suspecting that the job market/search is completely different too!

Any tips and advice would be much appreciated, whilst I could be considered an expert in England (apparently so anyway!), I have posted my CV on Seek and have had absolutely no response whatsoever.

My career for the last 7 years or so has been within sales, capital equipment, business services and most recently recruitment so nothing too technical like IT or Telco.

My CV begins with a short paragraph outlining my intentions of being in NZ and key attributes, then my schooling, then followed by listing some key records of achievements, such as major accounts won, values and any KPI's hit, as well as my managerial experience.
    From there I then run through the last 7 years or so work experience in bullet point format identifying my responsibilities, targets and achievements. All are in excess of 100% (which i can prove) so it shows no weak points.
    I finish off by bullet pointed other experience and achievements such as professional training and then by listing my hobbies and interests.

It is purposely kept to 2 pages as what that is what is expected/required in the UK. From looking at the first page you know immediately that your looking at the CV of someone with very good experience, who can win new business, retain existing accounts, set targets and over achieve them! What else could a potential employer want to see?

So the long and short of it is that I need help! If I were to post my cv online in the UK, my phone would ring non stop for 3 days with recruiters, i appreciate that it isn't going to happen here, but i thought that perhaps an inkling of interest somewhere from someone may have been forthcoming by now!!
    The only point I can think of adjusting is taking out the bit that I'm English and on a visa, and just leave my location and phone number on it..
    Thoughts/tips/suggestions/advice/comments good or bad are all welcome!
    Thank you and apologies in advance if this topic has been flogged to death already!

Can't really help you but for one job application I left out my visa status. From feedback I learned I didn't get interviewed because they thought I didn't have a visa. I was gutted. They did say my cv was very good, which actually did make me feel better. So it might be a good idea to leave the visa info on.

Quote Originally Posted by jj1982 View Post
    Thoughts/tips/suggestions/advice/comments good or bad are all welcome!
    There are a few people who report being able to get a job in NZ with the abbreviated UK/US style CV (possibly because the person making the decision is also from the UK/US, and prefers that style as well). I think those tend to be a very small minority, though.

There is a good selection of comments about CVs in this thread.

Jolie's absolutely right - most places in NZ want to see what seems like an enormously long CV, to those used to European/US norms. Apart from the link she's given you, I remember someone mentioning websites that give free advice/templates for NZ CVs - if you can't find a mention on here, a Google will probably bring them up.

NZ CV examples

<--- Oh look, I found where Mr. Exit exited to...

From the Career.govt.nz site

"1. Keep it short
    Are you used to writing about every job you have done? Have you included every course that you have ever been on in your CV?

In New Zealand, CVs are generally two to three pages long."

;-)

That's what is frustrating. JandM and Duncan74 found two polar opposite answers to the same question. That's what I have seen in my web search. I've seen some say New Zealanders expect 5-8 pages and some saying no more than 2.

I'm still on the hunt, but I built a 7 page one. I heard good comments about my background, though none about my CV itself. So still not sure of the answer, but it did not seem to offend anyone at least.

My quote was from the 2nd or 3rd of JandM's links. But we know from all gthe experience on here that long is good.

Credit to you, Jolie, for the links!

Now some links from me. Here's an internet site. http://www.workingin-newzealand.com/jobs/job-tools/cv Here's an old thread, with a link, from Ian. http://www.enz.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-15897.html And there's more detail on what an employer in NZ will expect here. http://www.enz.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-12650.html

Sorry, re my last post, meant Jolie's links, not JandM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast