Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it really dangerous to live there?---Christchurch city

Default Is it really dangerous to live there?---Christchurch city

I m wondering about the Tsunamis in Christchurch,and earthquakes, i hear the earthquakes r not big ones but still happen each year,Tsunamis in Christchurch is more serious.
    So if my family moves there, will it be a bit danger?
    Thanks a lot.
    how is the risk compared with Auckland?

Hello and welcome.

The recent tsunamis have reached NZ in the form of a wave 1.5 metres high, not the devastating kind seen elsewhere.

Not sure about Tsunamis in Christchurch or anywhere else in NZ but safety on any place on Earth is not guaranteed (at least since past 6-7 years). My daughter has been living these for past 2 years and has been having best of the time.

Someone with more experience or info will follow up soon on this thread.

Tsunami, earthquakes and volcanos are a risk you take when you live on The Pacific ring of fire.
    (nothing to do with hot curries )

Have a look at the GeoNet site for more info.
    Auckland sits on a big volcanic field.

Nick.

the tsunamis that have been spoken about in the new recently have been a complete non event, think the last one washed up at something like 10cm no metre and a half I can assure you, I walk on the beach at south brighton every day so I think I would have noticed. we've lived here 6 years now and have only felt one earthquake, it was over in about 20 seconds, no noticable damage anywhere. Most earthquakes are very mild and if you were asleep or driving you wouldn't even notice. I honestly think you are in more danger each time you get into a car or cross the road. Re chch v Auckland safety, I understand that Auckland is built on a dorman volcano. you pays your money and takes your choice.

Having said that it is part of the pacific ring so there is the risk of a more major event. but thats pretty much the case where ever you live. Earthquake in the UK a year or so ago.

well yes I now work in a place (In Auckland) which has an earthquake police, volcanic eruption policy and tsunami policy but chances are I'm more likely to get hit by a car while crossing the main road in front of my house. Can't say Its something that worries me on a day to day basis and many people have lived quite happily in Christchurch for the past so many years and are still alive and well to tell the tale.

No more dangerous that life in most westernized countries and to be honest I think for the most part Tsunami's are the least of your worries.

If Tsunamis are a real concern, why not live up in the hills in Christchurch? You have so many to pick from Taylor's Mistake -> Around Sumner. Hills continue on around Cashmere onward towards Westmorland and around.

I wouldn't pick a place anywhere near New Brighton beach where it's wide open to the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by NikT;353239 [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_ring_of_fire"
    The Pacific ring of fire.[/URL]
    didnt johnny cash do a song about it?

Quote Originally Posted by victoria24 View Post
    And didn't the English cricket team have it as the Tour song on one of their tours of India........................

Quote Originally Posted by victoria24 View Post
    The one and only, Johnny Cash....

Nick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast