Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Washer Driers

Quote Originally Posted by benandclare View Post
    That'd be about right as they are only likely to last about a week if bought here
    ROFLMAO!!

F&P is always a sure bet for repairs and spares.

That said, we had the devil's own job getting a F&P dishwasher repaired here - there was only one agent for the whole area and it took 5 weeks of waiting!! I doubt any of them fancy Ooropeeean things would get more than a blank look. Probably have to send them to Wellington!

FWIW, we have never had any form of drier since we moved here. We dry outside if weather permits and inside in the Tilly Room if it does not, sometimes with the dehumidifier on in there if we need the stuff in a hurry.

Electricity is so expensive I dread to think what running a drier would cost per load.

Hang on though, we've never had a dryer over here, but due to the absolute certainty that we'll be living in a mouldy damp shoebox with no heating then we thought we'd better get one or else we'd never have dry clothes again.

Very confused now.

May end up posting dirty laundry back to mummy to wash and iron in the UK.

(Can't see any info on the 10amp / 13 amp Bosch switches. Then again the whole bosch website is pants.)

Almost coming back to plan A of bringing our hotpoint, hoping it lasts for a while and jsut buying in NZ. Ok so we may pay more, and we've plenty of space in our container, but we can have it when we need it, ie not buy now and store for months, or be in the sea when we need one in any house we've moved into.

Our LG dryer is a gas one (LP not natural gas), the electricity turns it around, but the actual heating is done by gas, don't know if you can get those in New Zealand?
    Last edited by Shones; 27th April 2010 at 04:12 AM.

with the dehumidifier on in there if we need the stuff in a hurry.
    This was the trick, thanks to a tip from our son's Kiwi m-i-l, we used in our rented house in a clearing in the native bush in an Auckland winter (so with a LOT of damp about). I'd never come across dehumidifiers before, but for traditional NZ house conditions, they're brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    (Can't see any info on the 10amp / 13 amp Bosch switches. Then again the whole bosch website is pants.)
    The information regarding changing power was from within their user manuals. I've sort of assumed that it may be common for European models but maybe just specific models?

Ian

We had an old dryer in the rental when we moved in which the landlord said that we could have when we left so is now under the house.

It has only been used 3 times in the 2 years we've been here; and two of those were by my parents who didn't know that we never use it!

When / if it dies we won't be getting another one!

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Hang on though, we've never had a dryer over here, but due to the absolute certainty that we'll be living in a mouldy damp shoebox with no heating then we thought we'd better get one or else we'd never have dry clothes again.
    You've been reading this forum too much!

We brought over our hotpoint and it coped fine with the trip and has been working flawlessly for 2 years now. If you want a separate drier these are cheap in NZ anyway.

I had a washer dryer when I lived in London, but only because my flat was so small that there was no room for a separate dryer, and I had no outside drying space. I think I used the dryer about three times because the load you could use in the dryer cycle was smaller than the load you could use in the wash cycle, so rather than have the convenience of being able to put a full load of washing on to wash and dry, you had to take out half of the washing before using the dryer, which was a real pain. (I just used to hang my washing to dry on airers in the end.) I think this issue is pretty common for washer dryers, plus they're not nearly as energy efficient as separate machines.

Here in NZ we haven't got a dryer at all - we dry our washing outside on the line whenever we can, and on the days when we can't do that we just dry it inside in the spare room, and, like Kiwi Mac, we use a dehumidifier if we need the stuff in a hurry.

I really don't think you'd need a washer dryer here - having space for a separate dryer is very unlikely to be an issue, and it's really easy to get your clothes dry here without a dryer anyway.

a tumble dryer was essential for us when living in the UK we used it daily in the winter and regularly in the summer, so we grabbed the 1st cheap dryer we could find here and in 6month we have used it once since we got it to dry 1 pair of handwashed socks in a hurry (granted this has been over the summer) Occasionally i use it to store the wet clothes if i've washed more than i have pegs for LOL.
    Even with regular rain i can leave stuff out on the line and so long as i pick a sunny moment to bring it in, its almost always dry. windy days are ace for drying!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast