Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Miles?

Default Air Miles?

I know there are frequent flyer programmes with different airlines, but can you collect air miles in NZ as you can in the UK?

Also, is there any 'cover all' frequent flyer programme that would allow us to use different airlines at different times?

Thanks in advance!

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I think FlyBuys is the nearest equivalent to Air Miles and you can spend the miles on many different rewards, not just flights. We saw signs all over the place for FlyBuys so you can collect everywhere. You're not tied as much as Tesco ClubCard/Sainsbury's Nectar.

FlyBuys is ok but in 6 years we have had very little from it (a small radio). I think it is nowhere near as good as the reward systems in the UK. Having said that our builder does alright. Buys everything for jobs at Placemakers and racks up millions of points!
    AirNZ allow you to collect miles even when you are flying with other airlines that are Star Alliance partners. Just picked up a load of points from an SF to London flight on Virgin.
    We have a KiwiBank credit card that earns us points. People also rave about GlobalPlus credit cards.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Quote Originally Posted by slim8589 View Post
    FlyBuys is ok but in 6 years we have had very little from it (a small radio). I think it is nowhere near as good as the reward systems in the UK. Having said that our builder does alright. Buys everything for jobs at Placemakers and racks up millions of points!.
    Good to know!

AirNZ allow you to collect miles even when you are flying with other airlines that are Star Alliance partners. Just picked up a load of points from an SF to London flight on Virgin.
    And if you are a member of the BA Exec Club, you can collect points on Qantas (although not Jetstar I think) and other OneWorld airlines. Star Alliance has many more member airlines though so I think the Air NZ Airpoints system is probably easier to rack up miles on.

We have a KiwiBank credit card that earns us points. People also rave about GlobalPlus credit cards.
    I used to use a Tesco Credit Card in the UK (still do occasionally) which was always useful when the vouchers came in

Quote Originally Posted by Manks View Post
    I think FlyBuys is the nearest equivalent to Air Miles and you can spend the miles on many different rewards, not just flights. We saw signs all over the place for FlyBuys so you can collect everywhere. You're not tied as much as Tesco ClubCard/Sainsbury's Nectar.
    When I was there for recce, I was asked if I had FlyBuys every time I used my credit card at a grocery or gas station. I had no idea what they were talking about. So thanks for that.

you must have been shopping at New World and buying gas at BP.

Here is the link for Flybuys https://www.flybuys.co.nz/pages/default.aspx

Not quite as good as Tescos but you can collect in lots of places. There are often competitions and bonus points etc so it is possible to rack up points and plenty of choice how to spend them.

Fly Buys are also useful if you've got a BNZ Global Plus card, since you can transfer them to Airpoints. OH and I recently transferred 300 Flybuys and got 48 Airpoints so not too bad

I find flybuys quite good. The points do mount up if you get them on your groceries, petrol etc. It's worth joining when you first arrive in NZ, because you'll be buying lots of expensive things for your house probably which will earn you a lot of flybuys at places like mitre10.

Quote Originally Posted by Manks View Post
    I used to use a Tesco Credit Card in the UK (still do occasionally) which was always useful when the vouchers came in
    Yup, 5 years worth of paying for most things (including council tax) on the Tesco card and transferring all points into BA Miles, and we have enough to get 2 adults and 1 child to Sydney, one way (other than taxes)!

(and a good BMI Amex deal got us enough Star Alliance miles to get from Sydney to Chch too!)

Now all I need is a visa, then I can start collecting for a trip home...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast