Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SIM Cards

Sorry I was taking that 'locked' bit for granted. I was trying to be helpful with respect the question of frequencies and that just because a phone is 'quadband' doesn't actually mean it will work with your chosen NZ network, or in the case of 2degrees that the network will let you communicate with the UK (via text).

Well, damn, I took a look at Vodafone's site for fun and man are data rates expensive. >.< Actually, so are the voice rates. Ouch!

Thanks for all that - getting a bit complicated for me though. We only use PAYG phones over here and really only use them to text here and there. We're not slaves to them so it will only be very light usage.

Be aware that even texting over there is not as cheap as over here. Especially as they charge differently to 'other' networks.

For info, not sure how relevant it is for others, but we've gone for phones which are very capable for use with email, and so with small data bundles then we intend to use that as the primary way of communicating, ie email instead of text. So that works to the UK or to each other in NZ for the same price.

Looking at things from the outside in - I use Vodafone in the UK, on a plan which charges me 10p per text message. My son is on Vodafone in NZ (same name but different, though linked, company), and I can text him for 20p, which is WAY cheaper than making a voice call. I'll ask him how the charges work going the other way.

30c for an international text, but in fariness to vodaphone then it's capped at $2 for a 2hours voice call NZ mobile to UK landline (89c up to that). And in the case of my mother, then it would take at least 3 weeks and 80 texts to decypher what she meant when she sends texts. Seriously, I did try to sned one to bletchly to try decoding. Even worse when she decided to send one at 3am to my land line and I was woken up by Tom Baker attempting to speak the random abbreviations that bear no resemblance to generally accepted txt code.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Be aware that even texting over there is not as cheap as over here. Especially as they charge differently to 'other' networks.
    If you mean that say Vodafone to Telecom on Prepay costs differently to Telecom to 2Degree's you'd be wrong. Of the three larger providers, 2Degree's is the only one that charges 9c (or less if you top up by a certain amount or something) to any NZ number. Vodafone and Telecom basic Prepay both charge 20c a text message to any number, and 89c per minute to call. International texts are 30c. I'm suprised there's no competition between the two.

(If that's not what you meant well..)

I meant in the 'free' bundle. I was pretty sure that the free texts were to the 'own' network. Apologies if I misunderstood.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123