Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Time Scale for taking small dog to NZ from UK

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Derbyshire (STILL!)
    Posts
    153

    Default Time Scale for taking small dog to NZ from UK

    Hi All,

    Hope someone can help with this. EOI selected 13/04/05 decision successful 17/05/05 Meds booked for 26/05/05 still have to get full NZQA Assessment done. We are hoping to get PR by Sept/Oct 05 and have (in our minds) said that is when we will hope to go. However we have acquired a long haired mini dachshund some months back, and want to take him with us (but if he chews through my modem cable again I may well leave him behind! :eek Only kidding )

    What is involved in taking your pet, what do these companies that ship them take care of, and what do I need to take care of? Also any recommendations would be welcome. I have heard alot about Golden Arrow but where are they based? I am in Derbyshire, so I would prefer a company that is pretty near to Manchester or East Mids etc...

    I know nothing at all about what is involved in shipping your pets ops: so treat me like an idiot and I'm sure I'll get there in the end!

    What I really need to know is do I need to begin any vet visits now and get blood tests taken? or make a start on any paperwork or does the shipping company take care of that? Also anyone that has taken pets, do you think the ordeal has affected them?

    Many Thanks
    Michelle

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Eastern Auckland (from UK '05)
    Posts
    3,182

    Default

    We are using golden Arrow, they are based in Shropshire, but will collect your dog from you for a bit extra.

    It has cost us around 1600, but that is for a collie, so a little chewing dacshund should be quite a bit less.

    You need to have dog microchipped, if he is not already, and then all I have had to do is contact them with a departure date and his micropchip number for them to apply for an import permit. They organised the dating for blood tests and feacal samples (lovely job) and all you have to do is take you dog to the vet to get the blood taken out (twice) and send it in the prepaid envelope back to them, same with the poop (again twice). Our vet charged for taking the blood.

    I would guess you need at least 4-6 weeks notice as the tests have to be done about three/four weeks in advance.

    Their phone no is 01588 680240, they will send you out an information leaflet and tell you what is required, they were very helpful. Just hope our dog enjoys his flight on the 2nd June

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    christchurch (formerly essex)
    Posts
    2,749

    Default

    We brought our two out ..... put forum search in for 2 dogs UK- NZ and it should come up. if not just type Brin in the search and it will... they both are loving it here.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Hi Michelle

    We were drawn from the pool the same time as you and are intending to take our dog too (3 year old Border Terrier). I would be really interested in the cost of shipping a little dog (roughly the same size as yours, I guess) using Golden Arrow.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Derbyshire (STILL!)
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Just rang Golden Arrow and they are sending me aquote and information pack today, so I will post as soon as I receive a reply Thanks all
    Michelle

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Derbyshire (STILL!)
    Posts
    153

    Default

    GA's quote was 1039 for anyone who is interested! They did a phone-in on the local radio the other day about how much you spend on your pets - I'm sure for anyone emigrating and taking their pet with them they would win it hands down!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    North Shore, Auckland - Luvin
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Just as a point to note (which GA will inform you anyway) -

    There is no longer any need for an import permit from the UK to NZ from the 1st July. So that knocks 58 off the bill. A small amount in the grand scheme of things (grand being the operative word!!! Strike. Make that 2 grand for our dalmation) but it all helps...

    They've also said to us that 5 weeks notice is enough to get everything sorted and they do prefer you to have booked your flights first and then they can work around that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •