Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for wife's birthday weekend getaway from AUCK

Default Suggestions for wife's birthday weekend getaway from AUCK

We just moved from US in Feb. and it's my wife's bday on May 10. I'd like to take her somewhere nice for the weekend. Any suggestions - we're mid 30s no kids like outdoor activities (tramping etc). Thanks.

I'd consider:

- Coromandel
    - Bay of Islands / Northland in general

What about the Copthorne Hotel at Omapere on the Hokianga Habour?

http://www.millenniumhotels.co.nz/co...nga/index.html

The view of the dunes across the harbour is stunning and you can usually get a boat across to do some dune boarding. Your trip up there would also take you through the Waipoua forest where you could stop off to see Tane Mahuta:

http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-rec...aipoua-forest/

If its just the two of you I'd suggest Waiheke Island (http://waiheke.aucklandnz.com/) although its not exactly a cheap option to take the car with you. I've never been to the Coromandel but I hear its gorgeous or you could head south to Rotorua/Taupo area.

Enjoy!
    Anneliese

We've 'saved' our Birthday pressies to each other for a weekend away when we get there. I've waxed lyrical about the Coromandel on here before, so much so that we actually visited it twice on the recce. I think that once we get there and settled, then the chances are the Bay of Islands which we never made it to, but I've a current colleague in the Uk that worked there for 6 months a few years back.

As a complete leftfield though, the 3 day Whanganui river Canadian Canoe trip with the side walk to the Brisge to no-where is as close as I (as a true yorkshireman) will ever get to admitting any hippy mumbo jumbo life changing experience. Great waasy to sped some time together, and if you opt for the second night in the hotel on the right bank as opposed to the campsite on teh left you can get a bit of luxury (as in flushing toilets and showers!).

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post

As a complete leftfield though, the 3 day Whanganui river Canadian Canoe trip with the side walk to the Brisge to no-where is as close as I (as a true yorkshireman) will ever get to admitting any hippy mumbo jumbo life changing experience. Great waasy to sped some time together, and if you opt for the second night in the hotel on the right bank as opposed to the campsite on teh left you can get a bit of luxury (as in flushing toilets and showers!).
    My vote is a weekend in Wellington! Cheap flights for $50, a good hotel off Wotif and enjoy the capital.

Duncan - who did you book that with? It sounds fun!

Quote Originally Posted by mgbridges View Post
    If its just the two of you I'd suggest Waiheke Island (http://waiheke.aucklandnz.com/) although its not exactly a cheap option to take the car with you. I've never been to the Coromandel but I hear its gorgeous or you could head south to Rotorua/Taupo area.

Enjoy!
    Anneliese
    If you're going to be in Auckland then I'd agree Waiheke is an obvious choice. Great beaches, places to explore, vineyards, restaurants, good places to stay. It's just about perfect and a short ferry ride from Auckland. You can either get one of the car ferries and take your car, or get the fullers ferry and use buses or hire a car over there. It's got quite a special feel to it, much more laid back than Auckland!

Come see the mainland!

Auckland --> Christchurch --> Lake Tekapo --> Wanaka --> Milford Sound --> Queenstown --> Auckland

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinAng View Post
    Come see the mainland!

Auckland --> Christchurch --> Lake Tekapo --> Wanaka --> Milford Sound --> Queenstown --> Auckland

I'd agree, but not in a weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinAng View Post
    Come see the mainland!

That's quite a full on weekend!

I would definitely reccomend the coromandel area, maybe consider doing the pinnacles track one day, have a look here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast