Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best cell phone company for 3G

Ask an AT&T representative to unlock it. If you are finished with your contract (and give them proof you're leaving the country) they will be more likely to do it for you, but I've heard horror stories. Otherwise you will have to jailbreak it.

So far Vodafone 3G seems to be [] on my iPhone. At least 10% of the time, and sometimes as much as half of the time, 3G internet will just never connect to a website, it times out.
    It's not a problem with reception, because it will show 5 bars, and indicate 3G, but will time out trying to connect to anything over the internet. Quite frequently I'm forced to turn off 3G in order to even get a webpage to load at all.

Does anyone have this problem? And is Telecom any better, I'm really considering switching.

I phone is on the 850 frequency for 3g, not the 900 that Vodaphone use. So you'll not be using 3g for I phone data, just 2.5g. The new 4th generation iphone offers 900, but until then you need to go with XT. Telecom doesn't have 3g at all at the moment IIRC. I think this was earlier in thethread (first few pages) or it's on a simmilar thread about 2 months ago if you want to look back and see all the specs.

FWIW then I'm on Vodaphone here and it's been flawless. Data and calls. But then I deliberately bought a compatible Nokia phone before heading out here.

You can use 3G on Vodafone in business centres- just not the extended network.

The business centres use a different frequency that the iPhone already has.

2700. But it is very patchy even by their maps

Quote Originally Posted by zoe305 View Post
    So far Vodafone 3G seems to be [] on my iPhone. At least 10% of the time, and sometimes as much as half of the time, 3G internet will just never connect to a website, it times out.
    It's not a problem with reception, because it will show 5 bars, and indicate 3G, but will time out trying to connect to anything over the internet. Quite frequently I'm forced to turn off 3G in order to even get a webpage to load at all.

Does anyone have this problem? And is Telecom any better, I'm really considering switching.
    OH got an i-phone from Vodafone on arrival in NZ - has frequent problems getting/keeping 3G signal.

I think it depends where you are. We don't have too many problems in Palmy or Wellington when we go. But we don't really go to other major cities very often and don't expect coverage when otherwise roaming through the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    The new 4th generation iphone offers 900, but until then you need to go with XT. Telecom doesn't have 3g at all at the moment IIRC.
    Telecom's XT is a 3G network. A fine match for the iPhone 3G(S) and 4G.

Quote Originally Posted by petri View Post
    Telecom's XT is a 3G network. A fine match for the iPhone 3G(S) and 4G.
    Telecom XT appears to have better coverage to support the iPhone and after the much publicized problems of early this year is not only stable but saying they have cured the problems. In fact during the time Telecom had their issues, Vodaphone had outages themselves.

Personally I would go with XT now.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234