Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it OK to bring kitchen knives through Auckland customs?

Actually, re-reading again I meant to say HOLD luggage. Very sorry.

lol i though duncan was joking again.
    We bought 2 x forever sharp knives in hold luggage with no problems, didn't even need to declare them

I had knives in my suitcase, not a problem, only thing they wanted to see were my hiking boots. Not interested in dog leads, riding stuff, feather duvets at all.

I guess we can't blame Duncan, he is on the countdown of his UK hours

Knives Kinives! I've forgotten to pack the Knives!!!

Perhaps it's time to stop trying to be helpful and concentrate on sorting myself out for a week.....

Question

what about the stainless steel knife and fork you get provided with to eat your meals on Singapore airlines - what's all that about? I thought plastic was the order of the day for eating utensils on airlines after all the security scares but apparently not!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trendynana View Post
    what about the stainless steel knife and fork you get provided with to eat your meals on Singapore airlines - what's all that about? I thought plastic was the order of the day for eating utensils on airlines after all the security scares but apparently not!!
    US is plastic, Europe is mixed and rest of the world is mostly metal. Business class may be different from economy class. We did two around the world trips recently, plenty of both business and economy class, 100+ flights, a number of airlines and most had metal cutlery, flew on time and flying was fun -- because we were mostly outside of North America and Europe.

Even if you eat in the superb Neil Perry restaurant at the Qantas First Class lounge in Sydney, you get metal cutlery -- except with a plastic knife. Knife is much more dangerous tool than fork, you know..

A friend is flying with a mat knife in the carry-on luggage. So far he has gone through the security check around Europe, US, Middle East and Asia over 100 times (he is based in the US). The only security check to find it has been the Egyptian Museum in Cairo. He doesn't hide it anywhere, it's just somewhere in the bag or jacket pockets. To make it more challenging, he is now traveling with two mat knifes.

Quote Originally Posted by petri View Post
    A friend is flying with a mat knife in the carry-on luggage. So far he has gone through the security check around Europe, US, Middle East and Asia over 100 times (he is based in the US). The only security check to find it has been the Egyptian Museum in Cairo. He doesn't hide it anywhere, it's just somewhere in the bag or jacket pockets. To make it more challenging, he is now traveling with two mat knifes.
    Wow. Goes to show what a charade airport security is, as if we needed any more evidence.

I was amazed when flying from Wellington to Tauranga recently - I realized it was the first time I had ever boarded a flight without passing through any kind of security whatsoever.

enlighten me please, whats a mat knife and why does your friend feel its ok/or need to carry one when flying.
    The only thing I miss being able to carry on with me are nail scissors, but I now just take an emery board.

Quote Originally Posted by RJLink View Post
    I was amazed when flying from Wellington to Tauranga recently - I realized it was the first time I had ever boarded a flight without passing through any kind of security whatsoever.
    How cool is that? Brings back the good old days when your OH could meet you at the gate and you had to walk across the tarmac to board the ramp to the plane. Always seemed romantic and adventurous to me that way....

[/old fogey rant]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast