Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it OK to bring kitchen knives through Auckland customs?

Default Is it OK to bring kitchen knives through Auckland customs?

Have a nice knife that I'd like to bring. Just trying to decide if it's better to pack in my excess baggage boxes or in one of the boxes that I'm shipping.

Goes without saying that it needs to be in your hand luggage, but just make sure it's well wrapped, and ideally labelled on the outside of the immediate wrapping in case it is opened so the cutoms officer is aware to expect it to be sharp. Then pack in your main bag in a way that it can't end up being poked through the outside of the bag. So perhaps inside a hiking boot, or in a length of plastic plumbers pipe with end caps (minimal weight but secure).

Surely the last place it should be is hand luggage?
    It will be confiscated and could cause a bit of a scene at the airport, although I travelled with a multi-tool in my carry on luggage this year having forgotten to put it in the hold bags.

Hold luggage should be fine, but as mentioned, well wrapped.

I always find that plumbers pipe should have a little cording sticking through the center of the end cap. Gives you something to grab onto in case the cap gets stuck.

I brought a chef's knife in my checked bag, no problem.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Absolutely no way it will be allowed through in your hand luggage. Heck, if you can't even take a pair of tweezers through nowadays, no way you'll get a kitchen knife through.

I would say it should be no problem as checked baggage though.

In the hold luggage should be no problem BUT be carefull. If you have to rush for the plane you may have to take your hold luggage with you to the gate (there are other reasons this can happen too like when the luggage conveyors break as has happend to me once). Then normal hand luggage rules apply and you will end up having to throw away your knife.

....I've seen it happen more than once.

I wouldn't imagine it will be a problem. The only knives on the NZ Customs "prohibited items" list are flick-knives and the like. But as everyone else is saying - whatever you do make sure you pack them in your checked-in baggage, not your hand baggage. There is no way you'll be allowed to take them on board otherwise.

Can I shoot myself now. Of course the word NOT needed to be in there in relation to hand luggage. Sorry. The rest made sense though I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Can I shoot myself now.
    Please don't......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast