Thread: Removal/Shipping company from Ireland

Default Removal/Shipping company from Ireland

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a removal/shipping company from Ireland to NZ.

I am also confused to whether we need international movers or just a shipping company. We will only have amount of items for a 20ft container which we could load ourselves with friends/family at this end. It is at the other end where we would need to get it from the port to our destination.

Should be a) get an international removal company with ties in NZ so it is delivered door to door
    b) just use a shipping company and load it ourselves here and then arrange for an NZ removals company to collect and unload from NZ port.

Appreciate any suggestions and recommendations

Not sure where in Ireland you are , but we used a company in the North called McGimpseys who were great.. no complaints at all. As far as I know they do it all for you for insurance purposes.. ie everything packed up and unpacked at the other end.. made it all pretty hassle free.

Default Re Moving Company

Hi,

Sorry don't know answer to your question. We hope to move to Wellington this summer - all dependent now on house sale!!

Am interested also if anyone has any recommendations for good removal company from Southern Ireland.

Good luck with move

We used Crown International for shipping from Ireland to Blenheim. They came & packed up everything, loaded it into a 20ft container & delivered it to our rental in NZ about 10 weeks later. They have offices in NZ so you have a local contact to deal with here which was handy.

Regardless of whether you use a shipping company or not, your container would need to be checked by MAF (biosecurity) and you will need a customs declaration. Have a look here for more info: http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/enter/cont-carg & http://www.customs.govt.nz/default.htm.

Thanks lin,

Thats great. Will look them up.
    Did a bit more research and think we will need to with removals company. Packing wise it seems to make more sense!
    Phoned Pickfords too - who also have a presence in NZ so either Crown or those guys will prob be my best bet!
    Thanks for the links too!

Hope you enjoying Blenheim. Lovely place

Just posted PR - so will wait and see - I note it took you 2 months - hope that will be the same for me.

Barneybetty - good luck with move too to Wellington. We are going North. DH originally from up that way!

Quote Originally Posted by NAP View Post
    Thanks lin,

Thats great. Will look them up.
    Did a bit more research and think we will need to with removals company. Packing wise it seems to make more sense!
    Phoned Pickfords too - who also have a presence in NZ so either Crown or those guys will prob be my best bet!
    Thanks for the links too!

Hope you enjoying Blenheim. Lovely place

Just posted PR - so will wait and see - I note it took you 2 months - hope that will be the same for me.
    No worries Nap, if you have any more q's just ask. I can't recall who else we got quotes from but Crown were the only ones that came out to see us. You may want to shop around for 'transit' insurance too though as I think the one with Crown was quite expensieve.

Loving Blenheim - sitting here trying the local beer (chocolate oatmeal stout) & its yum! Makes a change from all the wine!!

My PR was closer to 3mths but that's because my application was referred to the MA. It felt like the longest 3mths though. Here's hoping you get a speedy turn-around.

I used AMC Removals in Naas for a full packing service and unpacking for a 20 foot container and it cost €4,300 last July. Crown were the unpackers and everything was in good order when it arrived.

There's no VAT and it took 11 weeks. It took a bit longer because the removal company did not ask for a copy of my passport for custom clearance so we missed the boat. I shipped everything and then went on holiday for 6 weeks, so when we arrived in NZ I allowed 3 weeks to find a rental property and then our belonging arrived.

Pack ornaments, hoover(Cleaned), christmas decoration, bicycles, BBQ, out door furniture, walking shoes, boots with easy access in your container because MAF will more than likely want to look at them to make sure there are no insects or mud or seeds. If they are buried in the container sometime you might have to pay extra for the container being emptied and repacked by the removal company.

David
    Last edited by Gnomon; 21st May 2010 at 03:40 PM.

Thanks Gnoman, Will bare that in mind about packing the container!