Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nelson will it be right for us?

Default Nelson will it be right for us?

Hello,

My partner and I have decided to make the move to New Zealand, at first we were going to go to Perth, however after much thought we felt that a life New Zealand has more to offer for us. We've have been lucky to live in both countries whilst backpacking so we've got a good idea of what both places are like.

We fancy living in Nelson because of the sunny climate, amazing scenery, good food and wine. We've also got a Springer Spaniel we're taking with us so looking forward to all the beautiful walks we can take her on. We'd like to have a family very soon and thought it would be a really brilliant place to bring up children. I just wanted to ask whether there's lots of young families we would be able to make friends and people our age (31 and 32). I know it's a small place but feel ready to go and live somewhere with lots to do outdoors, we also love snowboarding so it will be great to go to the resorts near Nelson.

My partner is a carpenter and we've just built our own house in England and would love to buy a section there, he's had experience of building house in Queenstown and Sydney so he has the experience of building houses over there already.

I feel excited about the opportunities that lay ahead but scared as well as it feels a lot more a big deal than backpacking!

I just don't want to have thought about emigrating all my life and never do anything about it, if we don't like it at least we've had an experienced and tried!

Any advice is much appreciated.

Hayley, James and Bella

Hello and welcome.

I know you will hear from others already living there, but I have to jump in and tell you my thoughts, too.

We are living in the US, but hopefully by early August we will be living in Nelson. We're going for the location, scenery, outdoor activities, and the arts.

There are quite a few young couples on this forum that are around your age with children who have made the move. I would imagine Nelson already has a strong population in that age group, too.

It is smaller, so it won't have as much to offer as Auckland, Wellington, or Christchurch, but my feelings are that it has so many other things to offer instead. Since you expressed an interest in the outdoors, I think Nelson sounds like the right place for you!

Whatever your decision, I wish you the best!

Cheers!

Hello & Welcome From Us Too

Quote Originally Posted by magcats View Post
    I know you will hear from others already living there, but I have to jump in and tell you my thoughts, too.

We are living in the US, but hopefully by early August we will be living in Nelson. We're going for the location, scenery, outdoor activities, and the arts.

There are quite a few young couples on this forum that are around your age with children who have made the move. I would imagine Nelson already has a strong population in that age group, too.

It is smaller, so it won't have as much to offer as Auckland, Wellington, or Christchurch, but my feelings are that it has so many other things to offer instead. Since you expressed an interest in the outdoors, I think Nelson sounds like the right place for you!

Whatever your decision, I wish you the best!

Cheers!
    Thanks for the reply, it's very daunting when you finally decide to go tell friends and family and start the visa process.

We were all for going to Perth but when we thought about it more, New Zealand has allot more to offer to keep us busy and much nicer greener countryside, it's not as hot which is good for our dog but still a good climate, which isn't hard when you compare it to the UK!

I've been to Auckland and Christchurch it was nice but wouldn't want to live there, Nelson looks so amazing with lots of outdoor things to do and really would love to be near a beach. We lived in Queenstown for a year and loved it but it's a lot smaller there and very expensive for houses and land.

Let me know how you get on when you make the move.

Good Luck!

Another reason we decided New Zealand was because the people are so friendly and welcoming and we got on really well with them when we lived in Queenstown.

Just a thought regarding your dog..., I can't say exactly how it is in Nelson, but most towns/ cities don't allow dogs in the 'inner circle' and not all beaches are open for dogs. Definitely there are no dogs allowed in the National Parks.

Welcome along.

I'll say the same thing I always say to this question. It REALLY depends on what you need to do in terms of work.

If you are seeking higher paid jobs ($80,000 upwards) you will find considerably more of them in Christchurch, Wellington, Hamilton and Auckland.

You may well be better seeking work first - say in Wellington - and then popping to Nelson to visit.

Always find your employment location first and then work out from there I think - unless you just won Lotto, of course - in which case belay my last and go where you like!

Remember that PR is more or less dependant on you obtaining skilled employment. Nelson has some of course (esp in the hospital etc) but there is just so much more in the bigger cities.

You may also consider the acclimatisation period - you would have access to more services etc in a big city which might make it easier. Living here is certainly not the same as backpacking so lots to learn/adjust to etc.

There seem to be plenty of young families in Nelson and we had no difficulty in meeting them, although having children already inevitable speeds the meeting-new-people process. If you look at the population profiles there is a shortage of 20-something year olds in Nelson, but the numbers improve in the 30s.

Good preschools and schools. Sunny most days. Dogs are allowed on the end part of the main Nelson beach (Tahananui) although not on the beach part of the popular Rabbit Island (though there is a dog exercise area around the side of the island). Plenty of places that dogs are allowed though - we don't have one but my sister brings hers to this region frequently.

Obviously I am biased as I like living here but, providing you can find work, it is a nice place to live.

Default Advice

Thanks for the advise, I thought dogs may not be allowed in the national parks, however it's great there's some area's to exersize her because she certainley needs it!!

I'll do a bit of research into Carpentry jobs for my partner on the jobs part now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast