Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blu-Ray player bargain

Default Blu-Ray player bargain

If anybody's interested, JB HiFi are selling the Sony BDP-S560 Blu-Ray Player for the bargain price of $291.

I bought one from the Wellington branch this afternoon. About 20 feet directly above this store, Sony Style are selling the same player for $599. Hardly Normal have it for $591. The cheapest other prices in NZ are Noel Leeming and Bond & Bond, both of which have it for $449.

The BDP-S560 is in the middle of the current Blu-Ray range (between the S360 & S760). It's essentially an S360 with built-in wireless.

Ok, this question maybe shows I've got a bit out of touch with new technology, but why would you want wireless on a bluray player?

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky View Post
    Ok, this question maybe shows I've got a bit out of touch with new technology, but why would you want wireless on a bluray player?
    Mine is a similar question except that I remove the wireless part and ask why you would want a bluray player?

Quote Originally Posted by James 1077 View Post
    Mine is a similar question except that I remove the wireless part and ask why you would want a bluray player?

But surely whenever you watch a DVD you think "This poor picture quality is really spoiling the film for me. I wish there was a way to pay more for the DVD too."

If you have to ask then its probably not for you. Its the same question why change from video to DVD, large heavy TV with a tube to LCD, analog TV to digital TV? Far superior quality visually and sound. There is about 5 times more information on a Blu Ray compared to a DVD for your viewing pleasure. DVD's only show at any one time half of the dots on you TV in the same way that if you look at a bright light and then close you eyes you can still see the light, with Blu Ray all the dots on you TV or display are on at the same time thus giving a more detailed vibrant picture and colour.

Be aware that if you have an analog receiver even if its a year or two old it probably will not decode HD sound, even if your amp has a HDMI it does not mean you will get the sound benefits. Some Panasonic Blu Rays players will decode HD sound but you have to use analog component to your amp. The sound improvements are just amazing from Blu Ray. IMO well worth upgrading if you enjoy watching movies at home.

Wireless Blu Ray means you can get firmware updates without any trouble and some Blu Rays discs have extras that need Internet access for their bonus features, games or children's activities.

But surely whenever you watch a DVD you think "This poor picture quality is really spoiling the film for me. I wish there was a way to pay more for the DVD too."
    Yes I do! Expect I don't pay much more for Blu Ray and and get 5 times the quality.

David
    Last edited by Gnomon; 14th May 2010 at 12:45 PM.

To be honest I can't remember the last time we used the DVD player either; there is a whole internet out there after all!

To be honest I can't remember the last time we used the DVD player either; there is a whole internet out there after all!

Why would you pay to go to a nice restaurant when you can steal food from someone's bins?

The problem is simple. If it wasn't for the fact that people wanted BIGGER size screen TVs, there would be NO need for Bluray. The fact is that horizontal line resolution of VHS was perfectly fine for the days of 19" TV screens. But what happens to the picture when you double or triple the size like 60" LCD flat panel screen? Well duh! you're going to need 3 or 4 times more information to fill the larger display size just to maintain the SAME picture quality of a small tv display.

To the OP, does the BluRay player have a fan inside? I'm so annoyed of watching movies off a PS3 with it's rocket propelled supersonic fan noise that is so irritating to hear during a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    To the OP, does the BluRay player have a fan inside? I'm so annoyed of watching movies off a PS3 with it's rocket propelled supersonic fan noise that is so irritating to hear during a movie.
    It does have a fan in it, but it's barely audible. Certainly nothing like the old PS3s.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon&Candy View Post
    If anybody's interested, JB HiFi are selling the Sony BDP-S560 Blu-Ray Player for the bargain price of $291.

I bought one from the Wellington branch this afternoon. About 20 feet directly above this store, Sony Style are selling the same player for $599. Hardly Normal have it for $591. The cheapest other prices in NZ are Noel Leeming and Bond & Bond, both of which have it for $449.

The BDP-S560 is in the middle of the current Blu-Ray range (between the S360 & S760). It's essentially an S360 with built-in wireless.
    It's odd that NZ's Pricespy does not display JB's low price, but only for B/B and Noel Leemings...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast