Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Singapore Stopover

Thanks, very useful!

Hey, thats fabulous.. I saved it to so that i can really take advantage of it during my visit to NZ (via Singapore).

thanks

Glad it was useful, just to add in (I wonder how I forgot such places)

Shopping: Suntec City
    Shopping, Dine & Opera/Art Theatre: Esplanade
    Fun for kids: Singapore Flyer (worth taking the kids, its just like London eye)
    Fun for grown ups (12+ years I guess) MTV Bungy jump along Riverside.

Another point: Apply anti insect bite cream while visiting Zoo/night safari.

Try avoiding extreme end of Orchard road i.e. Orchard Towers as these places seem to change from shopping mall to shady places towards evening.

These are close to Raffles, few more things to consider, getting a taxi on call might be very difficult, you might find long queues almost at every tourist spot, parking close to nightmare especially over the weekends, avoid going to movies/taking buses (mainly because these places are air conditioned, I felt lot of suffocation as they seem to be hardly aired & flu might just be a touch away), but even after all my crib, I just love Singapore.

Last edited by Sun777; 16th May 2010 at 08:58 AM.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I can second/third a trip to Singapore Zoo and Night Safari - the Night Safari in particular is brilliant, but the zoo ain't bad either! Make sure you go to the show at the Night Safari.

Sentosa feels very commercial to me but there is a ton of things to do with kids there. Activities aren't that cheap but if you're trying to keep kids entertained, it's perfect. I'm not sure when the new resort and theme park are opening, but it's some time this year.

The good thing about Singapore is that it's pretty cheap to eat out anywhere. We did afternoon tea at the Raffles Hotel and it was the equivalent of about 16 quid each. You go to afternoon tea at any top London hotel and you can at least double that.

You might also want to take a ride on the Singapore Flyer (think London Eye) - I've not done that but it should kill another hour.

Someone else made a good point about the humidity - it's intense. You won't want to be walking around much.

Have fun. It's a great place.

Thank you all so much, will look carefully at which end of Orchid Rd as I don't fancy explaining the evenings entertainment away to the kids, we have "The Ladyboys of Bangkok" in Brighton at the moment and that has been an interesting explanation to the kids!

We are going to do the singapore flyer & the zoo.

Good luck to you all when you make the final flight and thanks for help on this round of questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Manks View Post
    Sentosa feels very commercial to me but there is a ton of things to do with kids there. Activities aren't that cheap but if you're trying to keep kids entertained, it's perfect. I'm not sure when the new resort and theme park are opening, but it's some time this year.
    Yes, it is very commercial and wouldn't give you a taste of the real Singapore.

We chose it as it was so easy with young kids, in terms of things to do, beaches and getting around. Also easy was good as we are normally frazzled from keeping young kids quiet on a flight for so long. It's also very easy to use it as a base and head out to the other more interesting bits.......errr I guess I'm saying it's easy!

Air conditioning is a must!!!!

Cheers

Tia

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12