Thread: Fragile X?

Default Fragile X?

My medical is on Thursday morning, and it's only just occurred to me that I have to tell them I have Fragile X - I am only a carrier so it doesn't affect me and I never think about it to be honest, which is why I forgot all about it in terms of the medical. However, I wondered whether anyone else knows whether or not this is something they may not be happy about?

These are the conditions officially deemed to be a 'no', so would require a medical waiver to be granted to achieve entry. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/index.htm None of those looks as though it would be a problem for you, as you aren't affected, but I haven't heard of anybody going for the medical with Fragile X, so can't be sure.

Thanks for the link, but I can't find the list - could you point me in the right direction please?

Thanks again.

he link then click on appendices and appendix 10 it gives you all the ailments for direct refusal

Regards

david

Here they are.

Medical conditions

HIV infection
    Hepatitis B surface antigen positive, with abnormal liver function
    Hepatitis C, RNA positive, with abnormal liver function
    Malignancies of solid organs and haematopoietic tissue, including past history of, or currently under treatment
    Exceptions are:

treated minor skin malignancies (not melanoma)
    malignancies where the interval since treatment is such that the probability of cure is > 90%, e.g.: early stage (I & IIA) breast cancer at 5 years; low risk prostate cancer at 5 years; early stage (Dukes A & B1) colorectal cancer at 5 years; childhood leukaemia at 5 years
    Solid organ transplants, excluding corneal grafts more than 6 months old
    Chronic renal failure or progressive renal disorders
    Diseases or disorders such as osteoarthritis with a high probability of arthroplasty in the next four years
    Central Nervous System disease, including motor neurone disease, complex partial seizures, poorly controlled epilepsy, prion disease, Alzheimer's and other dementia, and including paraplegia and quadriplegia
    Cardiac disease including ischaemic heart disease, cardiomyopathy or valve disease requiring surgical and/or other procedural intervention
    Chronic obstructive respiratory disease with limited exercise tolerance and requiring oxygen
    Genetic or congenital disorders: muscular dystrophies, cystic fibrosis, thalassaemia major, sickle cell anaemia if more than one sickle crisis in 4 years, severe haemophilia, and severe primary immunodeficiencies
    Severe autoimmune disease, currently being treated with immuno-suppressants other than prednisone
    In a person up to the age of 21 years, a severe (71-90 decibels) hearing loss or profound bilateral sensori-neural hearing loss
    In a person up to the age of 21 years, a severe vision impairment with visual acuity of 6/36 or beyond after best possible correction, or a loss restricting the field of vision to 15-20 degrees
    In a person up to the age of 21 years, a severe physical disability, where they are unable to stand and walk without support, and cannot independently dress, eat, hold a cup, or maintain their stability when sitting.

Found it thanks - it is a genetic disorder but none of those on the list so should be alright, plus it's not likely to cost anyone a penny, as being a carrier has no symptoms or side effects.

Thanks.

While being a carrier has no symptoms, if you have children there is the possibility that they may be more affected than you. This may have financial implications.

I doubt it would stop you getting into NZ but I would declare it on your medical.

Thanks KatieBen but my cousin has three children where the Fragile X has mutated and they are therefore severely affected by it. They have never imposed any medical costs on the NHS as there is no medical treatment needed for people affected by the mutation. They only need extra attention at school and at home, so this would have no implications for NZIS.

I just hope that NZIS are fully aware of what the condition is, as you'd be surprised how many doctors the world over have no idea. Let's hope they understand that pre-mutation or mutation are not a drain to the health system.