Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Medical tomorrow - nervous - help!

Default Medical tomorrow - nervous - help!

I'm starting to get the jitters a bit as our house sales goes through very soon. As I've said elsewhere I think, I'm married to a Kiwi (13 years, together 15). I don't have anything wrong that I think will come up in the medical but I just wondered if you really have to tell them about minor issues from say twenty years ago when questioned. Do they check everything out? To what lengths do they go to check things if you don't mention them?

Also, what happens after the medical - are you left with any idea how you did? How long before you know for sure etc etc?

HI April

I was worried about mine too, but it really was pretty straight forward. The Doc doing the medical cannot say what will and won't be accepted by an MA, only the MA can make judgement calls. However the one doing ours did say that he did not anticipate a problem with the MA although he was sure for some things that we would be referred and we were. Luckily we only had one round with the MA though.

The one thing I did do was to fast from midnight before in case my waist measured more than 88cm I think it was at that time. This is because more blood tests are needed if you are in excess of this measurement which require you to fast so by doing this you can speed everything up. Luckily the tape measure was fairly elastic. You can tell the doc doing the test everything and he writes down the bits he thinks are necessary.

Good Luck. I remember being nervous but it was not that bad at all. I had more stress from my kids leaping around the consulting room!

How long from having the medical to finding out if it's accepted?

Put your hands above your head while he measures your waist, if you think you're in danger of being above 88 cm.

http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/...2EA/0/1007.pdf Here's the form, in case you haven't seen it. This is their guide for what to check when they have you in front of them. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...andbookweb.pdf

The GP told us on the day about what he was recording as a significant finding. He also advised that he would let us know once the blood tests were back if there was anything odd. They were back within a week and we were then just told that the reports were ready, as the blood tests were fine.

Quote Originally Posted by April View Post
    How long from having the medical to finding out if it's accepted?
    The panel doctor will be able to tell you whether s/he's heard anything that warrants ticking the "significant or abnormal findings" box. Unless your blood tests and x-ray have been done ahead of time s/he won't be able to say so for definite, however that only took an extra week with the doctor we used (he posted off the blood to a lab, and I went to a local private hospital for the x-ray).

As far as how long it takes for a visa decision: depends on how busy they are, I'd say. It's not a case of how long after the medical is done, but how long after you lodge your application. The panel doctor will give you your form back and it is your responsibility to send it (and associated items like x-ray) to NZIS along with the other forms and documents that make up your application.

I can tell you that it took me less than 2 weeks to be assigned a case officer, and for that case officer to request extra info on an old incident listed in hubby's police report. He also referred my medicals to the MA in that time.

I would assume that if I didn't have such a glorious medical history, I might have recieved a green light 2-3 weeks after the application was lodged. If you're referred to the MA though, assume at least 3 months if not more.

Hope that makes sense!

Just got back from the medical - and he said I was 'fit as a fiddle' and the x-ray (which I had done down the road and took back an hour later) was perfect - no problems at all. So unless there is any problem in the bloods he says I have nothing to worry about. Roll on Tuesday when I get the results! :-)

Brilliant

Congrats!!

Thanks - it's really nice to have a bit of support - been off the forums for so long that I felt a bit lost and alone in all this, but coming back has been a great boost! Fingers crossed for Tuesday.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast