Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Police Certificate for USA

Default Police Certificate for USA

Hello,

I'm an American currently working on getting my Police Certificate. Today I applied through lifescan to get my clearace through the State of California. However, I just heard that you might have to go through the FBI. Is it true that you must go through the FBI ONLY for police clearance in the USA? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Yep, FBI only...
    You can get your fingerprint card done locally but you will have to send the card after it is done to the FBI for your "national" clearance.
    We just sent ours in last week.
    Here is a link to the immigratenz site that explains the requirement for US citizens:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ate/uv/usa.htm

Specific procedure for United States of America
    Apply in writing for an FBI identification record to the:

Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
    Attn: Identification Division
    1000 Custer Hollow Road
    Clarksburgh, West Virginia 26306
    United States of America

You should provide:

satisfactory proof of your identity
    a processing fee
    full names
    date and place of birth
    a set of rolled ink fingerprint impressions placed upon a fingerprint card or form commonly used by law enforcement agencies.

The FBI will tell you the amount of the fee. In New Zealand, some police offices and some security firms provide a fingerprinting service.

For applicants in the United States of America:

You must go to your local police station to complete an Applicant Card and have your fingerprints taken.

Applicant Cards may be obtained through your State Police or Federal Bureau of Investigation or by phoning (304) 625 5590 and selecting Option #3.

Once your fingerprints have been taken you then send this card to the FBI and request a copy of your record listing together with the following:

A written request stating that you are applying for residence in New Zealand
    Your full name, your date of birth and place of birth
    Fee US$18 (must be a certified cheque or money order payable to the US Treasury)

The address is:

Federal Bureau of Investigation Headquarters
    C.J.I.S. Division.
    Attn. Scu, Mod. D2
    1000 Custer Hollow Road
    Clarksburg
    WV26306
    USA

Hope this helps

As "cbrown" mentioned it has to be done through FBI only. You can get the fingerprints done at a local sheriffs office or police department and get it. There is a charge for that. With that you submit the id proof and fee and submit it to the address "cbrown" gave. You should get the clearance in about 10-12 working days.

Good luck with your application

Aww... I'm bummed I just spend sixty dollars on the wrong clearance! Such are the lessons of life I suppose. Thanks for the clarification!

Hi new horizon,
    If it makes you feel any better, I am the not so proud owner of a certificate of good conduct from the State of Connecticut. Maybe it will come in handy one day... When I eventually applied for my FBI certificate (early December last year) the waiting time was 8-10 weeks for a certificate but I know their waiting times change.
    Best of luck with your application!
    Bridget

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

The FBI web page detailing all of this is here. It does not say you need to include proof of ID as I'm guessing that they rely on the police to do that. We had to show our drivers license in order to get the fingerprints done.

You can also print off the fingerprint card from here. Our local police station didn't have any of the relevant cards so I had to take an internet printed one. Unfortunately it doesn't fit in the fingerprint "machine" so he had to cut bits off the side (which he seemed used to doing). I have no idea if this will affect our application. My guess (knowing what the US is like) is that we'll probably get asked to re-submit, but I'm hoping not.

It says the wait time now is 13 weeks which is terrible as I have a job offer in the wings, but you can put a specific deadline on the application form. I gave a date and the reason as "immigration" - you must also put this on the front of your envelope. But the website also contradicts itself saying that the FBI doesn't expedite background checks - go figure. We put a date on there anyway and will see when it comes back.

Wow... 13 weeks! Who would have guessed! I don't know if I have that much time!

It took us 10 weeks to get our FBI certification, and we managed to do it remotely from China (though we had to get our fingerprints done in Christchurch, since wouldn't you know that you cannot get your fingerprints taken in China for love or money--we even briefly considered committing a crime here to get them done, but then thought better of it).

Wow, that's a huge jump in waiting times. When my OH and I got ours, it only took 3 weeks I believe. You can write on the outside of the envelope (I think - it may be inside on the form) that you have a deadline, and they will try to speed it up but they give no guarantees. Good luck!

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Quote Originally Posted by redsheesha View Post
    You can write on the outside of the envelope (I think - it may be inside on the form) that you have a deadline, and they will try to speed it up but they give no guarantees. Good luck!
    This is what we did, specifying a 3-week turnaround time. Obviously they may or may not turn up in that time (I'll let you know next week!). The website specifically says that they do not expedite applications, but this contradicts the fact that they ask you if you need it by a certain date.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast