Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Visit New Zealand to find IT Jobs?

Default Visit New Zealand to find IT Jobs?

Hi everyone,

I am a Malaysian, .NET software engineer with over 6 years experience. I have just lodged my ITA to Beijing Branch this week. However, I don't want to wait for 9 months+ to get the PR or WTR.

I am planning to visit New Zealand after 15 July (World Cup ). And I will spend 3 months in New Zealand to find a job. If I am lucky to get a job offer, I will apply work permit and stay back at New Zealand.

Do you think this plan will work out? Anyone has contact of employers who are hiring .NET engineer right now?

Please share your comment and advice.

Thank you in advanced.

Hello and welcome.

Welcome to the forum sschtan,

Quote Originally Posted by sschtan View Post
    I don't want to wait for 9 months+ to get the PR or WTR.
    Very wise decision of course you will be really lucky if you get a CO in 9 months, let alone PR or WTR

Anyway regarding you plan on landing a job while on vacation I am in no position to comment...but I hope someone in the forum will shed you some light sooner or later......

you can of course check the popular job sites (seek, trademe, etc) for jobs with your skill set,

btw, according to INZ it is not leagal to "search for work" while on visitor visa but no one worries about this too much it seems, (just wanted to say it for the record)

according to INZ it is not leagal to "search for work" while on visitor visa
    Can you provide a link, please?

I'm not sure about the legalities but long back when I'd applied for Visitor visa, I clearly mentioned that I'll be looking for jobs & no questions were asked.

It's better to be clear than getting caught up during entry clearance giving contradicting answers.

Welcome to the forum!

It's definitely possible, but many forumers have noted how slow recruitment goes around here. A few weeks wait between interviews are not uncommon. Unless you have already lined up interviews before you arrive, it'd be quite risky!

Are you eligible for the 6-month Working Holiday Visa? That will give you a bigger lead time.

Or... wait till April next year and try to grab the 9-month Silver Fern Job Search Visa, which is meant for your exact circumstances.

Thank you for the comments.

Yes, I am eligible for 6-months working holiday visa. I guess I will apply for that so I have 6 months period to find jobs.

With working holiday visa, is it legal for me to find full-time IT jobs?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Can you provide a link, please?
    Here comes a couple of links

a) http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/...torTourist.htm
    - The ‘Lawful purpose’ for visitors does not include job hunting

b) http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/4913.htm
    - V2.1.1 point b states "they [the visitors] are not intending to undertake employment"

But I agree that there is some ambiguity in the wordings here, and also there is no way of tracking down what you really do when you are in NZ.

I agree it will make sense to line up some interviews before coming, but also talks with some recruitment agencies.

If you're interested in working in Wellington, I'd be keen to see your CV once you know an exact arrival date. The company I work for is one of NZ's biggest IT employers, but you won't often find us on seek, and we don't employ recruiters - we get our people usually by word of mouth only, that seems to work well. The branch in Wellington has been growing even through the recession, and though I'm working in a Java unit, I know some .NET units are also looking for people.

Cheers, Jan

Thanks for those, dreamer. You haven't come up with anything NZIS have newly added, thank goodness for lot of people who bravely take the bit between their teeth and just ARRIVE in hopes. I don't agree that the wording is ambiguous. In your first link, 'business consultation' covers talking to employers and agents, and note my bolding here.
    As a visitor you may not work or attend a course of study or training, other than a single short course of study or training that lasts no more than 3 calendar months.

Genuine visitor/tourist

We consider you to be a genuine tourist if you’re a visitor who:

is not working and has not worked in New Zealand
    And in the second, the point you quote also forbids undertaking employment, not looking for it or asking about it.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast