Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: starting your own business to qualify for a visa

Question starting your own business to qualify for a visa

After having my first few ideas shot down by people who knew more about these sorts of things then I - I began plucking straws at any possibility I could think of...and I think I've stumbled upon a bit of a loop-hole that *might* just work:

starting your own business!

I seem to remember seeing this one mentioned on one of those sites I stumbled across somewheres along the way, but there was very little in-depth about the qualifications of these sorts of things other then simply you had to own a significant portion of the company as a whole (as opposed to just simply running the show for someone else, while they cashed in as the primary shareholder) But it didn't go into detail about how much this business needed to bring in / or how many NZ citizens you had to maintain on the payroll / or anything else like that - only that you had to actually own the company itself.

...ssooo...

Would these same rules still apply to little one-man operations too? Like - could I do this with a newsstand, or a shoe-shine suitcase I carry around with me in between going to and from my real job? (once I get my visa put into play, of course) Or can this be some little mom-an-pop seasonal 'thing' of sorts, that's only in business certain times of the year? Or a side job that only gets attention when and if somebody actually takes the time to call me in to do whatever it is that my business is set up to do for them? (like a consulting firm of sorts) And does it even matter if I ever actually do anything with this business to begin with, or do I just need to have it put into play in order to meet requirements that I can't seem to find?

Cause I can think of all sorts of pointless little businesses I can start that won't interfere with my getting work elsewhere

Or is this just another classic case of "if it sounds too good to be true..."

There's the Long Term Business Visa, LTBV for people who love acronyms.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...m/invest/ltbv/

Check out the INZ web site for the details, it's not very complicated but neither does selling flowers at the street corner qualify, I think ;-)

yeah...that's the site I was talking about ^_~

Looking back over it - I can see that they're not going to extend anything pointless past the first nine months (assuming I can even get something like that approved in the first place) and I can see that this is, in fact, going to need to be a [B]real[B] business here with [B]real[B] potential...but that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be some multi-billion dollar endeavor either - just something that serves a purpose and has potential.

What I'm considering for this is a low-level movie firm - one that specializes in documentaries / nature films / maori informational videos...basically...anything that's not going to need a studio, or a film crew, or actors, or anything like that - just me and my camera. I can set it up to where I work at a convenience store or something in order to pay the bills, and then I can film real people doing real things on my days off, and in nine months I can have *something* to show these people that will show them there is at least a potential for making money offa these films (hopefully anyway)

Cause if I can prove to 'the mayun' that I'm actually going somewhere with all of this - then that'll give em a reason to keep me around, yeah?

And I know that movies in particular have their own set of rules to go by and all of that, but unless I'm mistaken here - I'm pretty sure that those rules only apply to existing film studios whom are just simply using the country as the set and setting for their next feature film (and, therefor, are expected to leave just as soon as they're done) ...BUT... I don't *think* that the same rules apply to a new business that just so happens to revolve around the same clientele.

Am I wrong in assuming that though???

They will want detail, I would imagine several years of it, but i'll defer to those who have taken that route to tell you just how much.

I really don't believe this is a case of just "finding a loophole", submitting the "magic loophole" document and TA-DA! somehow just circumventing the process or the level of scrutiny that everyone else is subject to.....No matter how hard you try, but if you make it, and if I make it come to that - i'll surely buy you a beer for effort on the other side

More detail about what is required for the LTBV.

To be eligible for a Long Term Business Visa (LTBV) you will need to show that you have:

Business experience that is relevant to your proposed business in New Zealand. If you have not previously operated your own business, that does not necessarily mean that we may not be able to approve your application. We may be able to accept work experience at a senior managerial level in a substantial, relevant business.

Investment funds to provide the capital required for your proposed business, and sufficient funds to support yourself and your family for three years.

A business plan outlining your proposed business, suppliers, customers, proposed marketing, staff, required assets, financial forecasts, how the business will benefit New Zealand, etc.

A good understanding of your proposed business and the New Zealand business environment in relation to your proposed business. This should focus particularly on such matters as demand for your proposed goods or services, the size and nature of your target markets, any legislative or other requirements, etc.

You must be able to provide verifiable documents to support the above requirements.
    http://www.newzealandimmigrationguid...visa-ltbv.html

I think the film idea sounds pretty good, considering how important the film industry is to NZ nowadays. There's also a lot of competition, just look at www.v48hours.co.nz to start with.

A friend has LTBV and he didn't plan to build a multi-billion or even big company, just something to employee himself to start with and grow from there organically. I think they key points are that you do the ground work properly, setup the business and make a realistic business plan (with growth in mind), and have the means of supporting yourself financially. He did the visa application in NZ and said the INZ people were a pleasure to work with.

It's not a loop hope but an alternative to the skilled-migrant category, which works best for people who have done the traditional route of studying and working instead of being an "free entrepreneur spirit".

So whatchur saying is that something like this could still work (in theory anyway)

I mean - I got the means to get out there, and the money to get started on all of this, and the funding I'd need to get everything set up, and all of that...BUT...needing to also have the additional capital set aside beforehand to support my living expenses for three years certainly throws a bit of a monkey wrench into things for me (or in the very least - sets me back another coupla years anyhow)

I don't suppose any of you know whether or not it would be acceptable for someone such as myself to find a 'sponsor' of sorts for these things (i.e. someone who would agree to take care of my food/living expenses for me while I was there in exchange for partnership within the company I'm creating) Or if, perhaps, they would accept my living in a shelter or something as adequate accommodations for such things?

This would all be just simply to keep everything 'by the book' of course, cause I'd certainly be capable of paying my own way once I'm allowed to get a secondary job to pay my bills with while I'm waiting for this business of mine to really take off...but it's looking like to even be given that opportunity to begin with - I'm gonna havta first prove to the powers that be that certain things like living expenses won't be an issue throughout all of this.

So does it still count as 'sufficient funds' even if such funding comes from an alternate source?

The only sponsorship possibilities I've seen mentioned by NZIS are these - temporary work for a partner, support for a student, or for a visitor. http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/Sponsor.htm Or within families, when a resident can sponsor their partner, parents, siblings or adult children for PR.

Hi there, we came to NZ in 2008 on a LTBV, we were given 9 months to enter country, set up business and move our capital via the banking system. Once that was all done we then applied for the remainder of our 3 year permit/visa. This was granted without a problem (we had purchased an existing small business).
    The only thing I see as a problem for you is that the principal permit holder has to work at the business, it actualy names our business on the work permit in my passport, my partner was given an open work permit for the same length of time, so I'm not sure if you are allowed to get a second job. Hope this helps.
    Rob

that's interesting...I always thought a work visa was a work visa was a work visa

I don't suppose anyone here knows who exactly I can write to in regards to questions about these sorts of things?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast