Thread: Bmi

Default Bmi

Hi,

Just a curious question regarding a medical. What is the least BMI that the NZ immigration can accept? I have put on a bit of weight lately so I don't want to hear the bad bearer of the news when I go in for my medical!

Any useful info would be great.

Cheers,
    Claire

Generally a BMI of over 35 or a waist circumference of over a certain amount incurs extra tests.
    I believe the waist circumference is 85cm for women, 102cm for men unless of Asian descent?
    Someone will be along to correct me if I'm wrong.

Hello Claire,
    35 is the maximum limit (to the decimals to be precise), our MA was adamant to see my OH's BMI less than 35.

You can get through with waist measurements over and BMI over 35. I did. But I had to have extra blood tests (which were all normal) and a letter from my doctor to say that I was losing weight and and was healthy normally. But I would always say to people get as close to BMI 35 as you can so you don't have the extra worry - emigrating is stressful enough as it is!!!
    Claire

Quote Originally Posted by dandctaylor View Post
    You can get through with waist measurements over and BMI over 35. I did. But I had to have extra blood tests (which were all normal) and a letter from my doctor to say that I was losing weight and and was healthy normally. But I would always say to people get as close to BMI 35 as you can so you don't have the extra worry - emigrating is stressful enough as it is!!!
    Claire
    Can you tell me what your BMI was when you were accepted?

Thank you

From the INZ Handbook for Medical Examiners.
    The medical examiner is expected to calculate the BMI for all applicants aged 18 years and older.
    Measure the waist circumference of all applicants 18 years of age. With a tape measure, comfortably
    measure the shortest circumference that is below the rib cage and above the umbilicus.
    The medical examiner is to request fasting glucose and fasting lipids where BMI >35 or when
    the waist circumference in applicants 18 years or over is greater than the following limits1:
    • men: ≥ 102cm, except Asian/Indian men: ≥ 90cm
    • women: ≥ 88cm, except Asian/Indian women: ≥ 80cm.
    Where a patient may be in a higher risk category, with fasting bloods having been requested, the
    applicant’s attitude to their condition should be explored. Please note whether they recognise a
    problem exists, whether they are planning any changes to improve the situation, have they made
    any changes, what success, if any, have they had etc, is all relevant information.
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...lExaminers.pdf

Thanks but I ask what Claires BMI was as she says she was over 35 and we are waiting for parent visa at the moment. Mother in law is 42 BMI (already lost 3 points since her medical) she's had the extra blood tests and we're just waiting now. I know they will come back saying BMI is too high and we're doing our best to get her to lose weight. (stone so far) I understand we need to get her to lose another 3 stone to get her around the 35 mark but wonder just how close they need us to get. I'm expecting our third child in Autumn 2012 and will have 3 under 4.5 years so desperately need her here, she'll be living with us. Submitted application in may 2010 and got called for extra meds June 2011..... How long now? No case officer yet. Playing the waiting and losing weight game and desperate to get some answers as you can imagine.
    Thanks for any help
    Cheers
    Cheryl

I have the impression it's something that can vary somewhat from one CO or MA to another. Some, like the one for Sun777's wife, don't give any leeway at all, and I think that's more common than just passing someone through who is carrying quite a bit of weight.

As for time, nobody can tell you how long it will be for your m-i-l. I know you've seen the Parent visa - timelines thread. It takes as long as it takes. I know this isn't what you'd like to hear. Sorry.