Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel insurance - My Dad is 86, but fit for 86

Default Travel insurance - My Dad is 86, but fit for 86

I think this has been asked before but I cant find it and as there are lots of new people here thought I would ask again.

We are 8 weeks away from returning to New Zealand and once again are hoping that once we are settled in 6 months or so, we are hoping to bring my Dad out, ( we returned to uk before he got a chance last time) hopefully to stay, but initially 6/9 months ( but thats a whole different thread)

My Dad is 86, but fit for 86

Has anyone had their parent come out? and if so how or who did they insure them with, as finding travel insurance for him for anything more than 3 months is proving tricky and expensive and private health care seems only open to residents of New Zealand.

Cheers

My husband is 76 with minor health issues. We have explored long term travel insurance for over 70's in some depth, with little success. Longer than 60 days seems nigh on impossible with UK companies. However, Southern Cross (NZ) sounded very hopeful. Can't remember details but I think they have a long term one, up to 9 months duration, especially for parents/grandparents. I had to speak to an adviser after visiting the website (found via Google). They approved us in priciple but I haven't actually taken it up yet.
    Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by walshy View Post

Has anyone had their parent come out?
    So far I have managed to avoid it successfully........!!

Quote Originally Posted by babscat View Post
    My husband is 76 with minor health issues. We have explored long term travel insurance for over 70's in some depth, with little success. Longer than 60 days seems nigh on impossible with UK companies. However, Southern Cross (NZ) sounded very hopeful. Can't remember details but I think they have a long term one, up to 9 months duration, especially for parents/grandparents. I had to speak to an adviser after visiting the website (found via Google). They approved us in priciple but I haven't actually taken it up yet.
    Good Luck
    Think their limit is 80

You could try www.allcleartravel.co.uk

Going through their online quote allowed an 86 year old to visit NZ for 6 months, so they appear to cope with the age and duration.

Obviously I couldn't fill in the actual details, but the quote returned was £2,300 so expect at least this much?

BTW, if you don't already know, most medical problems that may happen would likely be covered by ACC or Reciprocal agreement - UK

Ian

Thanks Ian, but isnt ACC residents only?

£2300!!
    Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    You could try www.allcleartravel.co.uk

Going through their online quote allowed an 86 year old to visit NZ for 6 months, so they appear to cope with the age and duration.

Obviously I couldn't fill in the actual details, but the quote returned was £2,300 so expect at least this much?

BTW, if you don't already know, most medical problems that may happen would likely be covered by ACC or Reciprocal agreement - UK

Ian

ACC covers everyone...

What if I am a visitor to New Zealand?
    If you need information about ACC in your own language we have interpreters for over 30 different languages, and Pacific and Asian advisors who can provide cultural support and help. See In your language for more information, or contact ACC Claims.

If you’re injured during your visit to New Zealand, ACC may be able to help with the cost of treatment and support you need while you’re here. However, it is important to be aware that you cannot sue for personal injury – ACC replaces that right.

ACC only covers treatment and rehabilitation costs while you are in New Zealand; it is not a replacement for travel insurance and does not cover illness, disrupted travel plans or emergency travel to get you back home. We recommend you arrange travel insurance before visiting New Zealand
    Ian

Nice one mate

So, just looking in to this further, he doesent really need travel insurance except for the journey out and any stop over does he?

Once there, he is happy to pay the $50 odd for a gp visit to get a prescription, and if anything else happens he would be covered? Or is that me being a bit slap dash?

Read carefully the link Ian has given you Walshy and if you're still not sure call the MoH.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast