Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Credit Card Application with a WTR

Default Credit Card Application with a WTR

Hey all,

I think I have read somewhere on this forum on this but can't seem to find it. Has anyone manage to get a NZ Credit Card while on the 9 months WTR? Both OH & I have been in and out National Bank trying to get one. Their policy is that if your work permit is less than 2 years, they won't do it but both OH and I are employed on permanent employment contract and we have to wait 3 months before we can send in our PR application for re-assessment. In the mean time, it would be great if we could get hold of some credit card. We have our home credit card but don't really want to use them. We have asked the staff there to really try and make our a "special case" but don't know if it would work.

Anyone has got any other experience with other bank that would consider our application. We would gladly trade National for other bank.

I'd be interested in this one as well, we'll be moving over in October on WTR

Sure it won't help the OP, but we got a credit card from ASB whilst on WTR (the 30 month version).

Ian

why dont you get a debit visa?

2 years WTR does qualify one for a credit card here but it has to have more than 12 remaining on it. Ours is the 9months WTR. Well I guess we might just have to wait 3 - 4 months once our WTR gets converted to PR

Not sure if this will help but I was at Westpac, and while they wouldn't give me a credit car on my WTR, when I added in my overseas accounts (more specifically, my house in the States, I suspect), they changed their mind. Is there anything you can add from outside NZ?

Am probably being a tad stupid here, but then again someone has to ask the silly questions!!! Can you not use your credit cards from home in NZ, like you would on holiday? I just assumed we could and hadn't given any thoughts to not being able to get a cc because of the WTR!! yikes - we're heading out on 3rd October under WTR and I hadn't allowed for not having a cc!!

You can, but of course you lose out twice with exchange rates. Once when you buy in NZ and it is converted to euros, and then again when you take your earnings in nzd and pay off the credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by Starkus71 View Post
    Am probably being a tad stupid here, but then again someone has to ask the silly questions!!! Can you not use your credit cards from home in NZ, like you would on holiday? I just assumed we could and hadn't given any thoughts to not being able to get a cc because of the WTR!! yikes - we're heading out on 3rd October under WTR and I hadn't allowed for not having a cc!!
    Not wise, as Duncan's says you'll lose out twice on exchange rates, plus the usual transaction costs on using UK credi cards abroad, I think even Nationwide charge now.

You shouldn't have a great problem opening a credit card without residence, I was able to apply for two.

Re: another comment, I feel safer using credit card for internet purchases than a debit card.

It was a while back now but when I arrived on a 12 month WHV in 2003 (seven years on Monday!) I got a credit card through National.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast