Thread: Medicals / BMI etc

Default Medicals / BMI etc

Hi
    Hoping someone might be able to point us in the right direction.

When my inlaws sent in their application my FIL's BMI was 42. He had undergone knee replacement surgery the November prior (medicals were in June last year) and had been struggling to keep his weight under control. The medical noted that he should go for another medical in three months (which was a bit premature considering the lengthy weight for NZ Immigration to get to their App.)

Since then he has lost quite a lot of weight and his BMI is down t 38, and he is still losing weight. He can now exercise and walk more comfortably - he swims and walks regularly.

Question - do you think that it is worth getting a Dr's letter (from GP) stating his current weight and sending that in to NZ Immigration to show that he is losing weight - or weight until hey get a case office (and a MO probably since his BMI was well above the tolerance) and go from there. I thought that perhaps if they sent something in now, and update them accordingly as he progresses, they can see the pattern and that it might not be a big issue by the time they get selected.

Anyway - any advice?? (hopefully they might hear something soon - if all is the same as it has been with parent visa timelines as it has been lately).

I thought that perhaps if they sent something in now, and update them accordingly as he progresses, they can see the pattern and that it might not be a big issue by the time they get selected.
    If this were me, it's what I'd do. (Answering from no knowledge of what a CO looks for, just a gut reaction.)

Thumbs up

Hi

I would try and encourage him to join Weightwatchers or some other slimming organisation that is local - even if he looses a pound a week - photocopying his Weightwatchers card which shows he is determined to try and loose weight will help him I am sure and who knows with the encouragement of his fellow Weightwatchers - he may get down to the BMI requested when he gets the letter regarding his Parent Visa. I think it is worth a go - maybe a friend could go with him for support.

I think showing that he is trying to get the weight down to BMI of under 35 will certainly help his knee as well, I know this because I work in an Orthopaedic Hospital where loosing excess weight before or after a knee replacement/revision is always encouraged by all the doctors and physiotherapists to all the patients.

Good luck

Hi,

I would imagine that an initial BMI of 42 will almost certainly mean that the CO will refer it to an MA automatically. I would suggest doing everything recommended above and sending the documentary evidence as soon as a CO is allocated.

This will show the BMI of your FIL at the time of consideration and may avoid the MA asking for more tests. It will also give a little more time for further weight reduction. Trendynana is the best source of advice as her determined efforts to lose weight resulted in bringing her BMI within limits.

This is my opinion only, so it would be wise to seek more advice. Good luck, on current form your application should get to the desk of a CO within a month.

Tom

I would head to the doctor and get weighed and blood pressure taken, and have it noted down. Then to go back when they've been assigned a CO to have it taken again and then have the doctor write a letter with that information. That way it's not just a one off.

But this is entirely my opinion and has never been done before. I just think that if I were a MO that would be more impressive to me.

thansk - and agree with all of the above. he s off to the drs, hopefully get a letter and send it in now - then when the case file lands on someones desk they can update them again with his current weight. there may be some other questions relating to other illnesses anyway - MIL has high BP, cholestrol & thyroid tablets, FIL has diabetes tablets - so they might want some up to date info on those issues too??

It probably depends on what the original doctor (the one who did the medical) has marked as being of note, beyond what is considered normal. Many conditions that are of long standing and under control with regular medication aren't singled out. (Obviously, if his file goes because of the high BMI, they'll look at the whole picture, though.)