Thread: best suburb of christchurch?

Arrow best suburb of christchurch?

What is, in your opinion the best suburb in Christchurch? I'm 20 years old and planning to go over on a working holiday visa the end of next may. I dont have much money but I also don't want to live in a slum somewhere. I'm hoping to find work in Christchurch.

As a whitewater kayaker and backpacker I would rather be on the south island. The southern alps seem to have so much to offer.
    Unless I should be persuaded otherwise that is..

Most suburbs of christchurch are OK ... if you do a search here, you'll find a dozen or so threads listing the lesser desirable areas.

Aranui, Waioni are usually mentioned ...

Most suburbs in Chch are good. Sumner by the beach might be good if you're outdoorsy. Or the hill/near-hill suburbs Cashmare/St Martins/Beckenham/Sommerfield. The Port Hills are Chch's adventure playground.

Avoid Aranui/Waioni.

Sumner is good (end point for the coast to coast race) It's on the beach and has a good weekend buzz about it when the weather is good. It used to be a good place for the young surfing crowd with lots of cheap rooms to rent on the Esplanade but in the last few years most of these cheaper properties have been bowled and replaced with big family houses. But the suburb still has a good atmosphere about it and good buses and night buses into the city centre and back.

I dont have much money but I also don't want to live in a slum somewhere. I'm hoping to find work in Christchurch.
    well you kinda pay for what you get. Good areas will always cost a lot more.

one thing for certain is when you renting old houses, it doesn't seem much difference in home comfort across all areas. It's not like if you choose a place that charges double the rent compared to the slums that you will get central heating and a highly insulated home. What you pay the extra $ is basicaly to do with the safety of the location and how convenient it is to town or to a particular highly rated school.

Sure newly built houses are more comfortable, but still no where near as comfortable as houses in N. America. So depends what you are use to.

Of course, it all depends what you value? Comfort or security?