Thread: Grafton Auckland

Default Grafton Auckland

Hi all

I was hoping for some advice!!! I am trying to find us some furnished accommodation to tide us over until our stuff arrives from the UK. I have potentially found us somewhere on Burton street in Grafton. Great location for the Starship where I will be working. But, is Grafton a dump? Do we want to live there for 3 months? Would it be safe to walk to the hospital?

Thanks
    Vicky

It's a very convenient central location, I don't know that street in particular but the general area is fine. I would feel ok about walking that short distance at night, just exercise normal caution.

I haven't passed through that area for a few years and don't know how much it has changed but I did have a friend living in Claremont street and it was an OK area but very noisy due to traffic. I also used to work in that area. Burton street is pretty much under the motorway, as you probably have realised. Symonds Street (re your trademe request) is also a very busy street.

I asked my wife whether she would feel comfortable walking through that area at night (we have lived in London, Glasgow and Auckland) and she said "probably not." It depends a bit on what you are used to, but unless quite used to central parts of a biggish city, I would imagine you would feel uncomfortable in that area at night. Burton street looks to be in the centre of a mainly industrial area (if you haven't already, look at google maps/earth satellite image). If you really want to walk then the area around Carlton Gore Road behind/beside the medical school is probably the best in the area (but I wouldn't go past the motorway).

I think that area is allright. Grafton in general is quir nice area...

Vicky, we have sorted a rented place out until out stuff arrives, prob not for about 2 months, but have been living in short term rented accom for the last month (with a 2 week campervan trip around the North Island as well). We are currently in a place just off Symonds Street and have have had no problems, and obviously it is just around the corner from the Starship.

Thing is, it is ultimately determined as to what you want to pay and how austere you are prepared to 'live' until such times as you get your stuff over here.

I have pm's you on other stuff but if you reply with your phone number I am happy to give you a ring to discuss our situation and offer advice if you want.

kejktfc

I lived on Seafield Rd Grafton in 1996-7 and I found it safe quiet, and a good central location. Lots of doctors and nursed lived around us.

David