Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Winters in Christchurch, are they really that bad??

Good on the NZ for now pushing , via the TV adverts, the benefits of insulation
    I'm glad they're pushing for that too. But I don't think they will have to go that far. Already building companies are exceeding the minimum insulation requirement. It just doesn't make sense to have power bills in the $500 - $1000 a month during the winter.

BTW, you realise there's only so much fiberglass insulation you can fit between a 2 x 4 stud? R2.6 (metric measurement) is the maximum. You can use far higher by using the polystyrene 'expanding foam' but I don't trust it's long term effects. Like all plastics, it will break down and give off fumes whereas fiberglass is just glass.

We should be embracing global warming. If Canterbury winters would rise 2 or 3 degrees overall during the winter, that would help a lot to people's heating bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post

We should be embracing global warming. If Canterbury winters would rise 2 or 3 degrees overall during the winter, that would help a lot to people's heating bills.
    Good job as it is possible there might be less water to power those hydro-electric dams. On the other hand, weather is a highly unpredicatable thing and it could end up being wetter or more stormy with less solar gain to warm all those houses with too much glass...in other words it could end up feeling much colder.

Ooh wow, quite a few posts since i was last on!!
    Funnily enough i've never been much of a skier lol I find the slopes in Switzerland too difficult to learn on and long to have a go on larger wider slopes. I'm actually debating selling my snowboard and boots right now as i've not used them in years and not sure i ever will.
    Well we finally have summer here in Switzerland 30deg and bliss right now, soaking it up as much as possible before we head back to the tail end of winter!!

Quote Originally Posted by Familyofmonkeys View Post
    I would love to know if this winter is milder than a typical Canterbury winter?
    This is the coldest, wettest, greyest winter since we've lived here (2002). I think we get rather spoiled with our climate here in Canterbury; it really is pretty good most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    This is the coldest, wettest, greyest winter since we've lived here (2002). I think we get rather spoiled with our climate here in Canterbury; it really is pretty good most of the time.
    Wow.....I was expecting the complete opposite response to be honest. It's far warmer that we were expecting, after living in Auckland. We've certainly not found the weather to be especially grey or wet.

I actually find it damper than last year but so far not as cold. Feels like last May was really brutal in terms of chill (from frost damage reports). And after May 2009 was over the rest of the winter was just middling. I'm with you on the greyer and wetter though.

I just spent 24 hours in Christchurch and the weather was fantastic yesterday and today. Not too cold, blue sky, clear views across the city to the snow capped mountain etc. The flight back to Welly was great - over Sth Island I could see snow-capped mountains for miles, but as soon as we crossed the Cook Straits all I could see over Welly was clouds

Wow, it sounds wonderful, winters here in Switzerland are brutal, i mean it doesn't get as cold as somewhere like Canada but it get to zero and below, living in an apartment with a small child is tough as you can only really get out for 30min to 1 hour before you get too cold, plus the winters just go on forever, this last winter didn't seem to finish until April/May and now we're nearly in July and only just getting some good weather and it will start cooling off again around October.
    Maybe i should keep my snowboard and give the Canterbury slopes a go ;-)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234