View Poll Results: What would you buy and bring from the UK rather than buy in NZ? (tick as many or little as you like)

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • bed

21 72.41%
  • sofa

22 75.86%
  • tv

8 27.59%
  • dishwasher

10 34.48%
  • washing machine

16 55.17%
  • tumble dryer

13 44.83%
  • de-humidifyer

14 48.28%
  • microwave

11 37.93%
  • hi-fi

16 55.17%
  • laptop

24 82.76%
  • bedroom furniture

19 65.52%
  • Dining Table and chairs

21 72.41%
  • ladders

13 44.83%
  • diy electrical goods

18 62.07%
  • other item not listed above (please specify)

8 27.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bring from UK n not buy in NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by cappuccino View Post
    Not many employers pay for the container and removal costs! I don't know many people this has been the case for.
    Yes, we were fortunate to have a job offer with relocation expenses paid. I was assuming this as the original post is from someone with a job offer from the same employer my husband is working for. So hopefully he does get relocation expenses as part of his offer. Without expenses paid I would have had even more of a huge declutter than I already had!

At the moment, given the exchange rate, if you have space in a container I would buy in UK rather than NZ. The value of goods looked similar at 2.6, but current exchange rate makes them more expensive. IF you intend to buy I reckon it is currently better value to convert cash to goods in UK to transfer everything else being equal.

We brought basically everything except our white goods. We almost did, but our friends said that they were similar in price to the UK. We ended up spending $4000 (about 3 weeks ago) on a fridge, washing machine, tumble dryer and deep freeze. I would not bother bringing a dishwasher as there are very few houses that don't have them, esp if you will initially be renting. Also the guarantees here are so cheap! We never bothered in the UK because it was close to the price of the white good itself, but our $4000 included a 5 year warranty!

They have lots of furniture stores here, but not as much choice, we are struggling to find one of those very large comfy sofas, but you have to shop around here. In the UK the prices only vary by small amounts but here there are huge differences!

I also brought all our wicker baskets, the whole lot, even though all the removal companies advised against it. Basically if you have golf clubs, vacuum cleaner, tents, outside furniture, bikes ect then MAF are very likely to look at it anyhow! All mine passed through including some Rattan baskets & my moses basket.

Just remember that the houses are quite huge here so you will have lots of space to fill!

I wouldn't bother with an extended warranty over here either. The Consumer Guarantees Act ensures that everything you buy needs to last for a reasonable amount of time. The general view is that, if you can buy an extended warranty for the item, then it is reasonable to assume that it would last that long and so you needn't buy the warranty!

We returned an electric blanket a couple of weeks ago that we've had for two years; the original item had a one year warranty but we exchanged it under the Consumer Guarantees Act instead.

Bring absolutely everything you can cram in your container, everything is so very expensive, and as already been said, there is such a shortage of choice.

Cath XX

really helpful and practical tips -thanks!

is anything cheaper in NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by themilkybarkid View Post
    is anything cheaper in NZ?
    Yeh, Petrol and car insurance

Mmm, got me thinking that one, seasonal vegetable and fruits, fish from the fishing boat near Te Papa, can't think of much else off the top of my head!

Quote Originally Posted by jkhosking View Post
    Just remember that the houses are quite huge here so you will have lots of space to fill!
    Not always the case. I've sold a few big items of furniture since we got here and have still got unpacked boxes around the house as there's just no space or storage to put stuff. And we came from a cottage in the UK!

Quote Originally Posted by themilkybarkid View Post
    Just wondering what items you'd recommend bringing from the UK rather than buy in NZ (assuming you need to replace them anyway).

I realise all items need to be used otherwise will be subject to tax

Please vote if you are in NZ

and say why.. choice, cheaper, saves time finding places in unknown country???

cheers
    Remember that 'used' means only once..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast