View Poll Results: What would you buy and bring from the UK rather than buy in NZ? (tick as many or little as you like)

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • bed

21 72.41%
  • sofa

22 75.86%
  • tv

8 27.59%
  • dishwasher

10 34.48%
  • washing machine

16 55.17%
  • tumble dryer

13 44.83%
  • de-humidifyer

14 48.28%
  • microwave

11 37.93%
  • hi-fi

16 55.17%
  • laptop

24 82.76%
  • bedroom furniture

19 65.52%
  • Dining Table and chairs

21 72.41%
  • ladders

13 44.83%
  • diy electrical goods

18 62.07%
  • other item not listed above (please specify)

8 27.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bring from UK n not buy in NZ?

Default Bring from UK n not buy in NZ?

Just wondering what items you'd recommend bringing from the UK rather than buy in NZ (assuming you need to replace them anyway).

I realise all items need to be used otherwise will be subject to tax

Please vote if you are in NZ

and say why.. choice, cheaper, saves time finding places in unknown country???

cheers

I'm bringing everything with me . . . .
    have got too much for a 20ft container, so will not be selective at all and go for the full 40 ft (have large garage & workshop full of tools/equipment/benches etc).

Simply easier to take it all and sell unwanted stuff on trade me, or take nearest second hand shop (plentiful).

my unspecified items..... Dyson vacuum cleaner (V expensive here) and good garden furniture. dehumidifiers seem reasonably priced as new, and you can get good second hand ones from Trade me quite cheaply if you actually need one when you get here. also most houses come with oven and dishwasher included. washing machines tend to be top loaders and i was a bit cynical about their performance after reading comments on here, but the one i'm using seems quite new and does the job well. theyre quick to do a large wash and spin amazingly well.
    front loaders to buy are more expensive than the top loaders.
    but basicaly bring anything you can thats decent, as it will save you money in the long run, and if you done need it -you can sell it
    Last edited by mattandjax; 15th June 2010 at 10:10 AM.

washing machines tend to be top loaders and i was a bit cynical about their performance after reading comments on here, but the one i'm using seems quite new and does the job well. theyre quick to do a large wash and spin amazingly well.
    The problem people find with them is not that they don't clean things - it's that they're very hard on your washing, i.e. things tend to deteriorate visibly within quite a short space of time.

Bring absolutely everything with you!

There is a lack of choice here and many many things are way cheaper in the UK!

I assume that your new employers will be paying for the container and full removal costs so bring everything. There isn't any point getting rid of perfectly good stuff in the UK and then buying it all again at a higher price in NZ. Yes, there will be a time delay between arriving here and your container arriving but you will hopefully find that your new colleagues will lend you essentials when you get here. A good clear out never hurts though!

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    I assume that your new employers will be paying for the container and full removal costs so bring everything. There isn't any point getting rid of perfectly good stuff in the UK and then buying it all again at a higher price in NZ. Yes, there will be a time delay between arriving here and your container arriving but you will hopefully find that your new colleagues will lend you essentials when you get here. A good clear out never hurts though!
    Not many employers pay for the container and removal costs! I don't know many people this has been the case for.

I brought a 20ft container with lots of extra stuff that I didn't really need here but was able to sell them on Trade me

My biggest regret was not buying a new (bigger) bed in the UK. Furniture is a difficult one because you never really know what your decor or room size will be here and tastes/styles change over time. Light wood furniture is quite difficult to find here as most of the native timbers are quite dark.

Remember, we have no IKEA for cheapish, modern furnishings and as with most things here there is no middle ground between cheap/falling apart quickly vs v.expenisive.

UK digital freeview television is broadcast on MPEG2 where in New Zealand its on a more modern technology that can broadcast more information MPEG4. So if you buy a television in the UK and bring it here then you will need a decoder set top box or sky

David

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    The problem people find with them is not that they don't clean things - it's that they're very hard on your washing, i.e. things tend to deteriorate visibly within quite a short space of time.
    ok -thanks- will keep an eye out for that. our landlords are lending us their top loader for a while until we buy a new one for ourselves. will see how it goes and may get a frontloader then, if our clothes start wearing out

Is it the top loader that wears them out or just wearing them / hanging them to dry in the stronger sun?

Or do things get caught up in the "aggitators" in the top loaders? The newer top loaders don't have these so I can't see how it can make any difference to the clothing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast