Thread: Driving lessons in Auckland?

Default Driving lessons in Auckland?

So one of my very first priorities when we get to Auckland is to get myself a drivers license. My partner has one but I've never bothered.

Any recommendations on a good place to get driving lessons? How does the whole process of getting a drivers license and all that work?

Thank you for that JandM

the official government site:
    http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonkiwi View Post
    the official government site:
    http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/index.html
    Thanks much Oregonkiwi, that link is super helpful!

Oooh you can join the ENZ Learners Club then!

www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17531

First you do a multiple choice test about the road code and have an eye test and fill out various forms and provide proof of ID.

This then gives you permission to drive a car, with L-plates and a 'supervisor' (someone who has held an NZ Licence for 2 years I think!).

After lessons and practice you take a short 30 minute practical called a restricted test.

Once you pass this you will no longer need L-plates and will be allowed to drive by yourself between certain hours, drive your own children and spouse but not carry any passengers who do not have their 2 year licence. So you will not be able to take other people's children or adults that can't drive or aren't experinced enough. The point of this is essentially to stop your recently passed 16 year old driving 5 of his mates around.

Then, in anything from 3 months to 18 months, (depending on your age and whether you have taken a defensive driving course), you will be able to sit your full practical. This covers extra stuff not included in the restricted practical and takes longer. Once you pass this you are set loose on the roads and can carry anyone you like!

I've done this from memory so you may need to check the finer details!

I phoned the AA in Auckland to get an instructor....it took a few weeks. I had two instructors this way, one was good and one wasn't so good. I actually think it was probably a personality thing, some people teach in a way you understand and others don't. It's worth getting lessons as even though your partner might be able to teach you how to drive, the instructor will be able to teach you how to pass the test. Plus turning up to the test with an instructor scores you brownie points.

Lessons cost between $55-$65, with discounts given if you book a group of lessons all together.

Good Luck

Cheers

Tia

Ohhhh.... there's a club! PERFECT!! Just what I need since I'm finally going to learn to drive a car, at my advanced age

Thank you so much for all this information Tia Maria, it's perfect, just what I needed

Will check out the club thread, I have a feeling I'm going to need lots of support!