Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US alternative to Jeyes

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Default US alternative to Jeyes

OK, so now we have to turn our thoughts to what we're going to ship/not ship and therefore what we'll have to diligently scrub.

I know all you UK-based folks swear by Jeyes, but we don't have that brand over here. Clorox is something similar (I presume) so do you think that will suffice? Any US migrants got some experience to share?

Thanks

I think the 'advantage' of Jeyes fluid is that the smell hangs about and reinforces the impression that someone has given some time and effort to cleaning!

If you use a steam cleaner, you can get things just as clean. If you want to set the scene, old US hands have in the past suggested spraying with a solution of Zoflora disinfectant.

Also, be VERY careful to check for any signs there has been life in crevices and underneath e.g. garden equipment, furniture, machinery, etc. - things like cobwebs and chrysalises. That's what will earn you the entire contents of your container being fumigated by MAF, at your expense.

Simple Green?

I'm interested in this, also. The only Zoflora disinfectant I could find online was in the UK, not the US.

More suggestions, pretty please?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by magcats View Post
    I'm interested in this, also. The only Zoflora disinfectant I could find online was in the UK, not the US.

More suggestions, pretty please?!?!
    Okay - sorry about that. I'm not in the US and was going on something from an old thread.

The basic point is that Jeyes is 'just' an outdoor-type strong disinfectant. Yes, it kills bacteria and other small forms of life, but so do lots of other things, e.g. similar products and/or boiling steam. The effect you're aiming for when MAF look at any of your belongings is that the item has been beautifully cleaned by someone who knows they've got to eliminate all little beasties. Having used ANY smelly disinfectant so the smell lingers will help give the right impression, even if it's just as an afterthought to steam cleaning. (If you do go in for cleaning with disinfectant, remember to protect your skin and eyes, as old threads are full of tales of people with peeling skin and rashes. And work where there is plenty of ventilation.)

I'm thinking Pine Sol might have the same effect at least in the lingering scent dept.

Yep, Ana's right, PineSol will do the job

Now, Pine Sol is a product I know. Manks, I think you received some good suggestions! Thanks for letting me join this thread to also get some advice.

We used Pine-Sol (imported from the US) for our cleaning, along with plain old bleach for some things. We even cleaned our ladder that has never in its life touched the earth, just to be on the safe side.

Where in Connecticut are you coming from? That's our "official" home in the US!

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Quote Originally Posted by jlg84 View Post
    Where in Connecticut are you coming from? That's our "official" home in the US!
    We live in Glastonbury, just outside Hartford. Although our "official" home is all over the UK! Where in CT were you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast