Thread: One way travel insurance from Ireland

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default One way travel insurance from Ireland

Hi there

A quick question to all the Irish/Kiwis.. Who did you get your travel insurance with for emmigrating to NZ?
    The company I have it through at the moment wont offer one way - you have to be back in the country again to claim etc..

I have seen some UK ones - but they only apply to people resident there..

Any tips would be great..

Thanks

we used 'Go walkabout' emmigration insurance. see if they do if from Ireland

I dont' think it even occurred to me to check our travel insurance policy...made sure I had insurance for the container though!!

Came across this link on Boards.ie which may be of use: http://www.worldnomads.com/

getcover.ie website indicates they do single trip cover but haven't used them either.

Thanks will take a look!

Ahh the minefield of insurances!! although we're probably in different circumstances from yourselves, where about in Ireland are you? - we're based in Newry but will be departing from Dublin. We're going out on the WTR visa and have already booked return flights for 3rd October, we've decided to go with return to give us some peace of mind if we can't get jobs within the time limits.

My understanding (although I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) is that you can pay for single trip insurance which will cover the flight but not any period after, if you need coverage for your return journey (if you have one?), then this has to be arranged in NZ. The other option is gap year insurance if you meet the age requirements (which we don't). Our travel agent has found an insurance policy that covers all our travel (to and back if we use the return ticket) as well as providing medical cover for the duration of the trip, up to a maximum 1yr (which we'll need as the WTR doesn't cover us for medicals) all for the princely sum of £300 (standard) or £400 (premium) each. I think it's with a UK based insurance that we probably got cos the flights were booked by UK travel agent but still covers us for travel departing/ returning ROI.

Hope this helps, (if I've got any wrong above can someone please let me know, I've haven't bought the insurance yet!!)

When I looked through the small print of the policies some, like the Uk Post Office do cover emigration and a one way trip, but it is all in the very small print. Others do not. We used go Walkabout which gave us the best cover as a family for what we were carrying.

Thanks all,

Tried Walkabout but they only cover Uk residents.. We are from Southern Ireland.
    Think the ones LIN gave me might be goers.

Starkus71 - interesting about the return ticket option! Might look into it too. Gas you are booked for 3rd October. We are working towards the 2nd October - not booked yet as want confirmation on visas et..