Thread: Aoraki Bound

Default Aoraki Bound

If I had NZ$5000 oh, and a visa, I'd be there!

Aoraki Bound - Outward Bound with a Maori twist

Ok, so it's focussed on Ngai Tahu, but they do say in the video that it's for all New Zealanders I can't wait to get stuck into the Kiwi outdoors, plus have always loved anything cultural/anthropological, and hubby is technically Ngai Tahu... (hmm.. DD might be too actually.. she'd only be 1/16 or maybe 1/32 though, does that count?)

Looks like a good intro to lots of important NZ stuff for your average new immigrant though Just, pricey. Especially after the visa process and shipping.

Ho hum.. I can daydream
    Last edited by sophiedb; 19th June 2010 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sophiedb View Post
    and hubby is technically Ngai Tahu... (hmm.. DD might be too actually.. she'd only be 1/16 or maybe 1/32 though, does that count?)
    I have read that for being eligible to play for the NZ Maori you need 1/16. However I could not gather easily proof for it.

If I had NZ$5000 oh, and a visa, I'd be there!

Aoraki Bound - Outward Bound with a Maori twist

Ok, so it's focussed on Ngai Tahu, but they do say in the video that it's for all New Zealanders I can't wait to get stuck into the Kiwi outdoors, plus have always loved anything cultural/anthropological, and hubby is technically Ngai Tahu... (hmm.. DD might be too actually.. she'd only be 1/16 or maybe 1/32 though, does that count?)

Looks like a good intro to lots of important NZ stuff for your average new immigrant though Just, pricey. Especially after the visa process and shipping.

Ho hum.. I can daydream
    To be honest I doubt very much whether much of what they list would be important per se to a new immigrant!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Mac View Post
    To be honest I doubt very much whether much of what they list would be important per se to a new immigrant!
    You're probably right, at least in a practical "how to get settled in NZ" sense

I meant more in a "background info to NZ history, Maori culture and the glorious outdoors" sense

You're probably right, at least in a practical "how to get settled in NZ" sense

I meant more in a "background info to NZ history, Maori culture and the glorious outdoors" sense
    Same applies....! It's an area of considerable disinterest to most migrants, I find - especially after they have been here a while. (Not the outdoors bit though..!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Mac View Post
    Same applies....! It's an area of considerable disinterest to most migrants, I find - especially after they have been here a while. (Not the outdoors bit though..!)
    I think that's possibly more illustrative of the migrants you mix with than of migrants in general I'm in my fourth year here in NZ and more interested the more I learn and I've met many migrants who feel the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    I think that's possibly more illustrative of the migrants you mix with than of migrants in general I'm in my fourth year here in NZ and more interested the more I learn and I've met many migrants who feel the same.
    That makes me happy I know NZ is a very European-ised country, but people who migrate but want to stay in their happy home-country mindset annoy me a bit.. like OAPs who move to the south of Spain to create Little Britain (which I know is a very sweeping stereotype, but I hope you get what I mean).

One of my immigrant friends here did the Mauri Ora course, he really got stuck in and I admire him for it

He now has a gorgeous moko covering most of his right arm