Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help: Bonus points removed for degree of Bachelor of Science in Computing

Question Need Help: Bonus points removed for degree of Bachelor of Science in Computing

Hi,

I've just submitted the EOI with 145 points and got selected. Unfortunately, I noticed that my EOI was put back into the pool and the status was changed to 'submitted' from 'selected' without any notice or clarification from NZI.

When I check on my EOI again, I noticed that my points has been reduced to 125 from the 145 and the reason is the bonus points we claimed for my occupation and qualification in Absolute Skills Shortage area has been removed.

I've checked with NZI officer and he claimed that I'm only entitled for the bonus points if my degree has an exact 'naming' match of the 'a degree-level (Level 7) qualification majoring in computer science, information science or information technology ', which my bachelor of science degree in computing is not an 'exact' match . I asked if they have any details on the syllabus of the degree in computer science, information science or information technology so I can compare my degree to it and they don't have it and they merely do the matching on the name. So I asked about the possibility that I can reclaim the bonus point if get my study institute to issue a letter to clarify my degree is equivalent, the officer replied I can try and NZI will try to look at it although the chance they'll accept it is slim.

I'm quite disappointed that hitting wall at such an early stage of the PR application and I'm questioned whether my occupation and qualification are in IT field after working 10 years in IT field.

Anyway, life still has to move on, hope I can get advice that which following step I can take to 'fix' the problem:
    1) Get a letter from my study institute to clarify that the bachelor science of degree in computing is equivalent to the computer science degree NZI is looking at.
    My concern about taking this approach is, since this is not really 'official', even I got an ITA with this, will it come back to haunt me again when they are evaluating for the PR after I submit the ITA? so is it worth a try?

2) Submit a full assessment at NZQA: I noticed that the PAR I've got from NZQA doesn't mention the field that they recognize my degree is in. Since I've never submitted a full assessment before,
    i)May I know whether NZQA mention which field they recognized my occupation and qualification in the full assessment result?
    ii) If full assessment result can prove whether my qualification in IT field, shall I submit for a full assessment on my qualification to NZQA now and edit the EOI with the result if I can get it before my EOI get selected out of the pool?
    iii) If my EOI get selected before I get the result, is that possible for me to update the information in my EOI that my skill is in the absolute skill shortage area to increase the chances that I can get a PR?

Thanks for spending your time reading this, it's very helpful at this time especially when I'm in dilemma how I should move forward....... Thanks again

Hello and welcome.

I don't know any answers for you, but remember many forum members who have challenged assumptions made about their qualifications, so I'm sure you'll get some comments when they see your post.

FULL NZQA!
    We had almost the same situation. NZQA wrote the field of the degree for my OH (LEVEL 7 in INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY).

My OH has a Bachelor degree in Physics and Informatics. CO told us that he couldn't match his degree with any degree in that field from NZ. So we did Full NZQA and CO was very surprised with the result. Soon after that we received our ITA.
    This is a short story of a process that took 4 months of our lives and 2 rejections of our EOI.
    From our experience, applicants who have a degree from a non-English speaking countries...Do a Full NZQA before submitting the EOI!

If you have an e-mail form the CO who is working on your case, just give him the result from NZQA (scan and e-mail) and that should do. That is what we did.

Good luck
    Last edited by lida16; 20th June 2010 at 12:24 AM.

Sounds like a bunch of "civil servants" interpreting a policy without exercising the brains. I honestly think such case should at least deserve a review of the subjects on the academic transcript before disqualification. Agree with lida16 NZQA assessment is probably the best way forward.

Quote Originally Posted by udang View Post
    Sounds like a bunch of "civil servants" interpreting a policy without exercising the brains. I honestly think such case should at least deserve a review of the subjects on the academic transcript before disqualification. Agree with lida16 NZQA assessment is probably the best way forward.
    Why do you think that they are interpreting a policy, they are following a policy which is very clear as to which degree titles count and which don't.

And of course if the degree is actually a computer science degree and not a computing degree as defined by NZQA then it should be reviewed. Which is exactly why it has to be submitted to the NZQA.

Ian

Why do you think that they are interpreting a policy, they are following a policy which is very clear as to which degree titles count and which don't.

And of course if the degree is actually a computer science degree and not a computing degree as defined by NZQA then it should be reviewed. Which is exactly why it has to be submitted to the NZQA.

Ian
    We can call that following a policy if that's more appropriate. My point was, following a policy word by word without some sound discretion may be detrimental to the already lengthy process. It could have been fairer and perhaps simpler, for example, if NZIS were to take a look at the list of subjects listed in the academic transcript first before rejecting the claim at the stage of EOI. We may say that's the job of NZQA but I just feel this case of word by word policy following is being taken too much an extreme. There is always the ITA process when the CO can request for NZQA assessment if he or she is not happy enough. To be rejected at EOI for this reason leaving the applicant struggling what to do next is not so appropriate in my view.

I hit a similar road block during my EOI stage;
    I had claimed points just as you for my "bachelor of computing" degree, but I havent got NZQA certificate because my qualification was included in the exempted list (or I thought so rather) But then my case officer for EOI mailed me asking for the scanned copies of the certificate and the transcrips. Once I sent them, she got back to me informing that they can not give me points with out NZQA assesment as I had completed my studies out side the country of my university (although I had the same internal qualification) She quoted the section from the operations manual which explained her decision. However unlike your case, what she did was she gave me the option of getting the NZQA assesment done (gave me a deadline) and get back to her, which I accepted, and NZQA assesed my qualification as something NZIS would give me the points/bonus points I was initially claming.

So I suggest you to go for the NZQA and get your qualification assessed as it will be needed anyway at the ITA stage. And also, dont give up hope yet, because you still have 125 points, which will keep your EOI in the pool, and hopefully will be selected even before your NZQA assesment is completed.

Good luck !!!

Smile Thanks....

Hi

JandM, thanks for your support and you're right, the forum members here are really helpful, I've got the information I need to make the decision.

lida16,Thanks for your advice and sharing experience, yeah...seems that it'd be better for applicants who have a degree from a non-English speaking countries to get a full assessment instead of PAR. It's encouraging to know that your OH assessment come back with a good result, hope I can get the same too. Thanks.

Yes..agree with udang that the way that NZIS handling this case is not so appropriate that my EOI was put back to the pool without any notification or information on the points deduction before I check with them (Luckily I do check the status from time to time), even when I asked for guidance for the following step, they can't give any, I haven't received any single email from NZIS since my EOI submitted. For an applicant without any experience with the process, this can really make us losing the direction. I've wasted the money on the PAR for both my husband and my qualification since the PAR didn't really speed the process up. Anyway, lesson learned, I can share this experience with any of my friend applying for NZ PR in future, may be they'll give me a treat for saving their hard-earned money with this experience. Thanks for your suggestion on full assessment too.

IanW99, Thanks for your suggestion. It seems that NZIS only recognize qualification with NZQA agreement.

dreamer12, Thanks for your advice and experience sharing and it's really useful for me, i'm more lightened knowing your 'bachelor of computing' has been evaluated to be something NZIS giving the bonus points as our degree title is similar, it seems that NZQA is not so rigid to evaluate the qualification by matching the title of the degree only. Hopefully I can get some good news from NZQA and yes, luckily the 125 points still keep me in the pool, won't give up hope Thanks again.

I've decided to get the full NZQA assessment after getting all the advices, hopefully I can get some good news from NZQA. Nevertheless, Thanks for all the supports, advices and experience sharing, it's lightened me up and let me know that I'm not alone...

hi all seniors need ur help guyss..i m new to forum and want to know that whether i qualify for the nz immigration or not

education:
    Master of e-business/e-commerce management (16 month) level 7
    short certifications of microsoft and cisco CCNA
    bachelor of arts

experience:

computer network adminsitrator: 2002-2004 (2 years)
    user support IT technician (technical support) 2008-2009 (1 year)
    MIS assisstant 2006-2006 (8 months)
    MIS manager 2009-current (1 year)

the subject in my master degree were as follows:
    Technology for business (30 credits)
    website design for managers (30 credits)
    Research methods (30 credits)
    project management (30 credits)
    human resource (30 credits)
    e-supply chain management (30 credits)
    e-marketing (30 credits)
    international strategic management (30 credits)

total 180 UK credits

NOW. wat confuses men that do i qualify for the education against bachelor in computer science,IT or information science
    and what is offer of employment or current employment

I would extremely thankful if you guys could sort out my case..
    pls advise
    mrshah

mrshah30: Like everyone else has adviced, go for NZQA assessment. That is also what I did and my Software Engineering degree was assessed to be a Level 7 degree in Information Technology (which would fit INZ's policy wording).

When dealing with qualifications, they do not take your work experience into account.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast