Thread: Medicals in the US

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Default Medicals in the US

OK, slightly strange one and may be semantics.

I'm a UK citizen but a US resident. I just checked the panel doctor section of the INZ website for the US and it says:

"US citizens can use any local doctor"

Now I'm not a US citizen so I'm wondering if they just mean residents? They surely can't expect me to fly back to the UK for an appointment with a panel doctor/radiologist surely?

When I receive the ITA I'll contact the London branch to double check but I'm hoping my assumption is correct!

You are probably right, but if I were you, I would write to INZ London and ask right away. Generic email is answered in about 2 days in my experience. skilledmigrantslondon@dol.govt.nz

Thanks SueDonim. I would rep you but apparently I've given it to you too many times in the past I've never seen that email address before so it will be handy to keep.

Cheers!

I think that just means that if you are in the US, any doctor in the US is able to do the immigrations exam. I ended up having mine done in NZ after arriving here on my WHV from the US. But, it certainly doesn't hurt to follow up with someone and find out for sure! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Manks View Post
    OK, slightly strange one and may be semantics.

I'm a UK citizen but a US resident. I just checked the panel doctor section of the INZ website for the US and it says:

"US citizens can use any local doctor"

Now I'm not a US citizen so I'm wondering if they just mean residents? They surely can't expect me to fly back to the UK for an appointment with a panel doctor/radiologist surely?

When I receive the ITA I'll contact the London branch to double check but I'm hoping my assumption is correct!
    I was in the same boat as you, though I am a US citizen as well. You should have no problems seeing your regular doc. I just booked a physical and mentioned I might be bringing some forms to fill in. The docs were great and took it all in their stride, and my insurance paid for it all - result! My immigration status in the US wasn't questioned as that had no bearing on my citizenship of birth (UK) which is what I applied under with the NZIS.

Thanks all. Just to update you, I got an email back from the NZIS email SueDonim gave. They said I am fine to have the medical done in the US, which is great!

M-squared - I too am hoping that the insurance covers it as we have pretty comprehensive coverage (I'm here on a secondment with work so they do look after you in many ways). Thanks for the tip about what to book the appointment as - I was wondering how I was going to approach this with them! I usually see an NP but I know she will have to get the forms countersigned by an MD.

Quote Originally Posted by Manks View Post
    Thanks all. Just to update you, I got an email back from the NZIS email SueDonim gave. They said I am fine to have the medical done in the US, which is great!

M-squared - I too am hoping that the insurance covers it as we have pretty comprehensive coverage (I'm here on a secondment with work so they do look after you in many ways). Thanks for the tip about what to book the appointment as - I was wondering how I was going to approach this with them! I usually see an NP but I know she will have to get the forms countersigned by an MD.
    Just let the doc's office know in advance that you've got forms that have to be filled in for a medical and it sounds like your insurance is much like mine was (eg. after 4 days in hospital including an emergency c-section and haemorrhage when I had my daughter, my bill was zero dollars) so they rally the troops and the doc sent various staff off to get various equipment for all the tests, but she signed all the papers. Do double-check that they've signed everywhere they're supposed to. I remember now there were so many damn places you had to get that done!