Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: International delivery!

Default International delivery!

Hi dear,

I wish to know whether I need to deal with the customs and tax when my friend sends me a new cellphone from China. I would appreciate your kind assistant.

Best regards,
    Dapeng

Hello and welcome. Someone already in NZ will probably know about this. Meantime, you could look for the NZ customs website.

In my experience the answer is probably, depends whether it gets picked up.

Generally not your concern.

re tax: GST is valid only for transactions within NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    Generally not your concern.

re tax: GST is valid only for transactions within NZ.
    Not true. I always import Victoria's Secret products for my wife's store and, depending on the order price, I have to pay GST charges.

You should be able to check any details on the Customs website.

Information provided by IRD here: http://www.ird.govt.nz/gst/

"Goods and services tax (GST) is a tax on most goods and services in New Zealand, most imported goods, and certain imported services.
    Taxable goods and services don't include:
    * goods and services supplied by businesses that aren't registered for GST
    ..."

My take is that generally overseas companies etc. don't need to register. However emaino might be able to correct me.

If you import goods valued at over $50, either as a business, or as a private individual importing a cellphone, you are meant to pay duty (the % varies depending on what the goods are), plus GST, on the value of the goods. It's nothing to do with the overseas company who is sending them to you. Whether you will actually have to pay or not depends whether customs spot your package and realise what it contains.

Edit: From the customs website it looks like the duty rate for cellphones is zero, so you'll only end up paying GST - i.e. 12.5% (for now).

Hi... what BlueSky said

....and from personal experience it's depending on if the package is picked up/noticed at point of entry and that can depend on what the declaration sticker says....

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky View Post
    If you import goods valued at over $50, either as a business, or as a private individual importing a cellphone, you are meant to pay duty (the % varies depending on what the goods are), plus GST, on the value of the goods...
    The value quoted here isn't actually correct, the $50 is for the amount that you would be charged for duty and taxes on the item i.e. if the duty and taxes on the item come to more tha $50 then you have to pay it, if it is less then the fee is waived.

Calculation of Customs charges
    Where applicable, Customs duty is levied on the transaction value of the goods (the price actually paid for them). Goods and Services Tax (GST) of 12.5 percent is then calculated on the duty-inclusive value plus international freight and insurance charges. If there is no transaction (such as the goods being supplied free of charge, or a relationship between the supplier and importer which affects the transaction price), an alternative form of valuation may be used.

No revenue collection will be made if the total amount owing on the goods imported is less than $50. This revenue waiver does not apply to alcohol or tobacco products.
    So the actual value of the item being imported can be much higher than $50 (dependent on type of goods) before you would be liable to charges.

Ian

If there is no duty on the cellphone then you don't have to worry about GST unless its value is over $400 (including delivery charges and insurance).

If it is over $400 then you'll need to pay GST when you import it - normally what happens is you get a call / note from the shippers telling you to pay the GST (and how to) and, once it is paid, the package gets released to you.

I always import Victoria's Secret products for my wife's store and, depending on the order price, I have to pay GST charges.
    Get them to split the order into two shipments if it is a big one. You may have to pay increased shipping charges but the GST saving should negate this!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast