Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fingerprint For Police Certificates

Question Fingerprint For Police Certificates

Hello there!

I'm required to submit fingerprint checks for police certificates as I stayed/worked in another country for more than 6 months before.

"Where a fingerprint check is required, it is your responsibility to obtain a full set of fingerprints from your local police jurisdiction."

Does this mean I need head on down to a local police station and tell them that I need a set of my fingerprints for police checks purposes? Or can I just do it myself ( fingerprinting on a piece of paper )?

Has anyone done this before? Please share your experiences.

Thank you.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I can only speak for the US where you need to supply a fingerprint card for the FBI background check.

You have to have this done at your local police station as a police officer MUST sign the card. It has to be on an offical card as well (which is downloadable from the web). I am guessing that if you need an FBI check but aren't in country, you would have to go to your local police station and explain your needs and get them to fingerprint you.

But each country has it's own rules. The UK doesn't even require fingerprints. So your question will really depend on which countries you are talking about and it might be helpful to post a list of where you need police certificates from. Other members may then be able to help you better.

I would require for both Singapore and Australia police certificates, which will need the fingerprint checks. I might check with the local police station here in Malaysia to see whether they offer such fingerprinting service ( which I am sure they do, hopefully ).

Thanks Manks!

There are some comments about Singapore police certs in this thread and Australia ones in this thread.

Sophiedb might have more info ref Australia and maybe Syed for Singapore?

Sorry, meant to say Sun777 for Singapore! Got my "S" members mixed up!

Quote Originally Posted by cazsuezs View Post
    Does this mean I need head on down to a local police station and tell them that I need a set of my fingerprints for police checks purposes? Or can I just do it myself ( fingerprinting on a piece of paper )?
    Yes you do need to get an official set of fingerprints from your local police station - you can't do them yourself. In fact, you will need to request two sets if both Australia and Singapore need them to process police checks on you.

Yes, hubby and I needed to get fingerprints from our UK police station to send to Australia for our police checks from that country. I rang the nearest station, who forwarded me through to an office that could do exactly that.. for a not so small fee.

If you need a check from Singapore too, norma is right - you'd need 2 sets of prints. Hopefully they won't charge you twice though, as it really does take a very short time!

Alright, I will drop by the police station sometime soon and get the fingerprinting done. Thanks manks, norma and sophiedb for your sharing!

We had to get Police clearances for another Country we stayed in before as well, and had to go to their Embassy Office in the Country we are currently staying in, there we were given letters to hand in at our local authorities requesting the fingerprints! Maybe just give the local Embassies a call first...

Hope yours works out easier!

Trolle001, thanks for your sharing! According to our ITA letter, they'll be sending us a letter soon to facilitate with the Singaporean Police Check Certificate - I'm guessing that we can/need to use that and show it to the local police here in order to get the fingerprinting done. And will use that opportunity to obtain another set for the Australian ones.

Any other Malaysians out there that have obtained a fingerprinting card from our local police authorities here? Please share your experiences if any. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast