Thread: Banks - Maestro/Cirrus Debit Card?

Default Banks - Maestro/Cirrus Debit Card?

I went to my local bank here and they told that I will be able my Maestro debit card on ATM machine bearing the Cirrus logo on ATMs in NZ.

I've checked on Maestro ATM locator website and I saw a number of ATMs from the different NZ banks (Westpact, BNZ etc....).

Just want to confirm! Has anyone tried same? If yes, does it work same as in the local country....using the PIN etc... I suppose bank will charge for the transaction.

Thanks

JM

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I have used my UK Maestro card all over the world with no problems. It is used the same way as in the UK as all your info is stored on the chip and/or magstripe. It would be useful to inform your bank in advance though when you will be leaving the country so they don't block your card. I have had that happen to me a couple of times but a quick phone call soon sorts it out (my bank has even rung me after I've tried to withdraw cash just to check).

I didn't use my UK card in NZ as our US bank had a reciprocal agreement with Westpac which meant we weren't ever charged for using a foreign ATM. But when I have used my UK ATM card abroad I've rarely been charged. Might just be my bank though.

It will work int he hole in the wall, but not in shops. We ended up having to use our mastercard for shop purchases.

IanW99 told me that you have to enter 'debit' for a UK credit card, and 'credit' for a debit one, and then they'll work fine. Since this was AFTER my visit, I didn't actually do it myself, but I'm sure he knows what he's talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    IanW99 told me that you have to enter 'debit' for a UK credit card, and 'credit' for a debit one, and then they'll work fine. Since this was AFTER my visit, I didn't actually do it myself, but I'm sure he knows what he's talking about.
    Talk about mis-quoting...

What I actually said was...
    Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    When you used your Visa debit card, did you select 'debit' or 'credit'?

Overseas debit cards should select 'credit' at EFTPOS terminals, if you were to select 'debit' then the transaction would fail.

Ian

I knew you'd be along.

If you hadn't been on the forum for six months and I got something wrong, you would appear. I think you float in the stratosphere, listening for the sound of a dropped clanger!

I second Manks comment about informing your bank of NZ usage beforehand. I forgot before I visited Auckland. I was unable to use the international phone number on my debit card for some reason, nor could I use the domestic US number. It took about 45 minutes and several dollars of toll calls to get through and get the issue resolved. A call beforehand would have made the process much smoother

Hi...

have a look see here..loads of info & quite a lot of (a-hem!) detail...yawn!

http://www.enz.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-16162.html

cheers