Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to live in Auckland?

Default Where to live in Auckland?

We are moving to Auckland at beginning of Sept. As the exchange rate has gone against us (stg) we will not be able to buy in preferred area of Eastern Bays but what is Panmure or Ellerslie like to live in?

I live in Mt Welligton which is pretty much between Ellerslie and Panmure. Basically, Ellerslie is a lot nicer and a lot more expensive! It's fairly convenient as close to the Southern motorway, with plenty of buses and trains into the city, Sylvia Park is close by, and there's a few nice cafes and shops in the main street of Ellerslie.

Panmure is cheaper and a poorer area, the Panmure basin is quite nice to walk around (as long as the tide isn't out!) and the water (Tamaki river) is quite close by. It's a bit further from the motorway, and the Panmure roundabout can be a bit of a nightmare in the evenings! There's plenty of shops in the main street of Panmure, including a lot of asian takeaways. I think there's quite a lot of buses, and a train station, though it's just off the Ellerslie-Panmure Highway so maybe not so convenient if you live past the Panmure shops.

We live in the northern part of Mt Wellington, which is pretty much halfway between Ellerslie and Panmure. It works well for us because the access to the southern motorqway is still very easy (which is very important for me getting to work) but it's more affordable than Ellerslie. There's all the new shops in Lunn Ave which are close, including the Flying Moa (a nice pub) and Farro (a gourmet food store).

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the area.

Thank you so much for all the information, It was pretty much what I was thinking, must look at Mt Wellington again, we are not moving until 1 September, OH does not have a job yet, but boys will be going to school on West Tamaki Road, so have to look for someplace to rent initially and hopefully buy in about 6 months depending on the market.
    You have given me a lot of info which is greatly appreciated

i was house hunting for the last 9 weeks... the info provided is spot on! personally, i definitely prefer mt. wellington over panmure, but depending where. sylvia park is a life saver since it has basically everything, including a train station and theatre lol. ellerslie same type deal, just comes with a heftier price tag.

all in all, i agree a million percent with jeffanar's assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by peter+lucia View Post
    We are moving to Auckland at beginning of Sept. As the exchange rate has gone against us (stg) we will not be able to buy in preferred area of Eastern Bays but what is Panmure or Ellerslie like to live in?
    Is renting longer term an option? If so, you could still consider your ideal location of the Eastern Bays if you're prepared to wait and see if the exchange rate improves.

Panmure shops used to be a nice family area a few years ago but seems to have gone downhill lately, Mt.Wellington is ok, the best part would probably be the Ruawai road area. You may like to look at St. Johns, an area bounded by St. Johns Road/ College Road; Merton Road; Howard Hunter Avenue; and Felton Mathew Avenue. could be walking distance for the school. The upper part, has distant views of the Tamaki Estuary and sometimes over to the Coromandel Peninsula.
    All the best

Gran

Countdown have applied for planning permission to put a new store on Felton Matthew Avenue which will be handy!

Wellington is nice....! ;-)

I hadnt heard about Countdown, but Pack n Save is just down in Apirana Ave, about half a kilometre away also a Nosh and lots of local stores.

Gran

Thanks for all the info guys, all very welcome. We will be there in 8 weeks!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast