Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Character waiver

Default Character waiver

Hi

We have just gotten the all clear with medicals but have been informed that OH has to apply for a character waiver
    Basically 4 years ago she bumped another car leaving a parking space in a shopping centre but was unaware of doing so
    She was subsequently convicted of:
    driving with undue care & attention
    failure to report an accident
    fine £100 & 5 points
    I would consider this to be fairly minor and hope it should pose no problems
    Any thoughts from anyone has had a similar problem

Francis

I think that's automatic citizenship based on kiwi driving.

Cheers Duncan

You've got the first laugh out of OH today

Quote Originally Posted by francis1962 View Post
    Basically 4 years ago she bumped another car leaving a parking space in a shopping centre but was unaware of doing so

fine £100 & 5 points

hi Francis,

Hubby had a 6 year old conviction come up on his Aussie police check - it was a minor roadrage incident that resulted in him damaging the vehicle that nearly squashed his motorcycle against the pavement and punching the driver. Apparently he should have tailed the driver home (the bloke didn't stop voluntarily) and politely requested his details *cough*

Anyway, we were asked for further details about the incident and sent in a page of fuzzy memories, plus receipts for the court fines he'd received. That was literally it, and I had to prod my CO to find out whether that was ok.

Based on that, I don't think you'll have a problem!!

Thanks Sophie

I'm sure it's going to be fine

Hope you get some positive medical results soon

Francis

Quote Originally Posted by francis1962 View Post
    Hi

We have just gotten the all clear with medicals but have been informed that OH has to apply for a character waiver
    fine £100 & 5 points

Francis
    I am hoping, and am relatively confident (without wanting to tempt fate), to get a character waiver because of a drink-drive conviction 3.5 years ago so I don't think your OH will have any problems whatsoever with that.

I have had 4 different work permits now and declared the offence every time - it's never even been brought up once by NZIS. I realise they are more strict on residence so I provided a fuller explanation of the incident and also included various character references from family, friends, my employer etc to strengthen my case.

Time will tell if my approach worked but from what I read, I think it would be very harsh to decline me, despite how idiotic drink-driving is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_Tamson View Post
    I am hoping, and am relatively confident (without wanting to tempt fate), to get a character waiver because of a drink-drive conviction 3.5 years ago so I don't think your OH will have any problems whatsoever with that.

I have had 4 different work permits now and declared the offence every time - it's never even been brought up once by NZIS. I realise they are more strict on residence so I provided a fuller explanation of the incident and also included various character references from family, friends, my employer etc to strengthen my case.

Time will tell if my approach worked but from what I read, I think it would be very harsh to decline me, despite how idiotic drink-driving is.
    Work permits are very different beasts from PR. 3.5 years ago is within the 5 year limit that NZIS like to see you holding to the law in.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Squared View Post
    Work permits are very different beasts from PR. 3.5 years ago is within the 5 year limit that NZIS like to see you holding to the law in.
    Which is why I have applied for a character waiver?

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_Tamson View Post
    Which is why I have applied for a character waiver?
    Are you attached? The thing that did the best for my hubby's character waiver is my pointing out his change in character since we had married 12 1/2 years previous. Often the other half can do a lot of good

Best of luck!

Hi

Heard today that OH's character waiver has been approved

CO has said that they will let us know of final decision within a week

Hoping to see some blue bananas soon

Francis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast