Thread: Internet Providers - Broadband / Cable

Default Internet Providers - Broadband / Cable

Hello hello,

I was just wondering if anyone out there can provide any insight into this. I've searched the forums for internet providers and have come up with vodafone and telecom broadband. anyone have any other ideas?

Reason I ask is because I will not be here for 12 months, and these two companies have an early termination fee. Are there any companies that offer a month to month contract?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

we are currently using Orcon for our phone & broadband. they have a 30 day termination period and there are a number of different packages to select from.

We are with Telstra Clear and from what I remember when I set it up there wasn't a minimum contract.

If you live in an area with Cable Broadband, and don't mind paying for a decent internet connection, TelstraClear Cable is the (only) way to go.

Most other ADSL providers go through Telecom and suffer from performance issues every now and then, and it mostly doesn't matter who you go with as it depends on which exchange you're connected to and the capacity of that exchange. I've used TelstraClear ADSL (northern Christchurch suburb without cable access) and Orcon (south Dunedin) and have had good experience. I'm now in a "rural" northern Canterbury town and am with Xnet, which is decent.

Check out the site: http://ispfind.co.nz/ for more options - it doesn't show termination fees as a filter criteria but it will at least broaden your choices.

We're with slingshot.co.nz - zero complaints! They gave us broadband when telecom told us there were no ports available.

Quote Originally Posted by dbonnett View Post
    Check out the site: http://ispfind.co.nz/ for more options - it doesn't show termination fees as a filter criteria but it will at least broaden your choices.
    great link! I thought that it's impossible to find cheaper that 70$

Quote Originally Posted by ph1102 View Post
    great link! I thought that it's impossible to find cheaper that 70$
    That link shows only the cost of broadband service but you would still need to have your own phone line set up, ie another $40 or so per month (cheaper for "naked" DSL setup if you live in an urban area), in order to connect up the broadband service.

Most ISPs package this up as phone + broadband service and pays Telecom for the line rental on your behalf so you get one bill, hence you get prices beginning from $70/mth (which is approximately $40 for line rental + $30 onwards for broadband).

After alot of research I went for Orcon. Mainly due to the package as I wanted to be able to call the UK without paying extra. I pay around $100 per month for the line, 11 gb of broadband and unlimited landline calls to the UK. However if your in wellington or christchurch, the telstra cable modems are faster.

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinAng View Post
    Most other ADSL providers go through Telecom and suffer from performance issues every now and then.
    At least in the main centres, that's not the case anymore. Both Vodafone and Orcon have their own equipment in exchanges, and I believe Slingshot on sell the Vodafone service.